Chicken hopping across the ground?

tgibbs-101

Hatching
Jun 2, 2021
So my chick does this thing where she flips across the ground like a fish. I know when she scratches she is looking for food. I’m fairly new to raising chicks and hope nothing is wrong. Let me know what you guys think. Thank you! I can’t attach the video I don’t think but this photo is what she looks like when she does it.

Attachments

• F8CE82F4-6C5F-4C73-8395-F966A299A6AA.png
    F8CE82F4-6C5F-4C73-8395-F966A299A6AA.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 7
So my chick does this thing where she flips across the ground like a fish. I know when she scratches she is looking for food. I’m fairly new to raising chicks and hope nothing is wrong. Let me know what you guys think. Thank you! I can’t attach the video I don’t think but this photo is what she looks like when she does it.

Here’s the video of her doing it

yea I have never seen that before, does she walk normal other times, or is that all she is doing to get around? does she only do that on carpet or does she do it on shavings, grass, hardwood, dirt? it could still be dust bathing behavior, just doing it in a odd and cute way.

yea I have never seen that before, does she walk normal other times, or is that all she is doing to get around? does she only do that on carpet or does she do it on shavings, grass, hardwood, dirt? it could still be dust bathing behavior, just doing it in a odd and cute way.
She walks perfectly fine all other times. I’ve noticed she only does it on the carpet as of right now. They haven’t been outside yet because it has been quite rainy. If it is a dust bath is there anything I can do to help her?

She walks perfectly fine all other times. I’ve noticed she only does it on the carpet as of right now. They haven’t been outside yet because it has been quite rainy. If it is a dust bath is there anything I can do to help her?
you can either collect dry dirt from outside, or go to a garden store and get plain top soil (no fertilizers) and use that or get some construction sand (play sand is to fine and can cause crop impaction) and they can dust bathe in any of those. they will love it.

you can either collect dry dirt from outside, or go to a garden store and get plain top soil (no fertilizers) and use that or get some construction sand (play sand is to fine and can cause crop impaction) and they can dust bathe in any of those. they will love it.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom