Chicken hot to touch, feeling very thin, empty crop, relatively anorexic, diarrhoea, bumblefoot

annalux98

In the Brooder
Feb 17, 2021
Good morning together!

One of the chickens, Blueberry, a very heavy bird (Beechwood Blue), has had some trouble recently. She's always had terrible bumblefoot since she's such a heavy breed (I tried to cut it out but failed, not allowed to try again and vets here don't do it or care), and she has that same staph sore on her chest (vet said it's because she rests against the perch and rubs it open that way).
Recently she's not been eating right but running away when food is being offered (she's not being bullied, one of the leader birds). Last night when we vasilined their legs for lice we noticed how bony she was despite being heavy, her crop was empty, legs and body really hot to the touch and legs maybe slightly swollen? We don't know if she's laid recently, but 2 weeks ago she definitely did (found max Nr of eggs that day so assume). She's also had some diarrhoea or poop issues, white with a green tint.

Might be unrelated, might not, but the cockrel suddenly died in November, had pale comb, coughing, dropped dead overnight (probably also stressed by presence of his son that was taking over more).

Does anyone have any idea what this could be or what we could try to avoid her deteriorating?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20210218_094527.jpg
    IMG_20210218_094527.jpg
    492.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20210218_094547.jpg
    IMG_20210218_094547.jpg
    480.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210218_094615.jpg
    IMG_20210218_094615.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 6
Except for the bumblefoot that sounds like what I noticed yesterday with one of my hens. I can't say I've ever had a sick chicken before so I'm not sure what to do. I brought her in the house because it's been extremely cold so now I'm worried about putting her back out if she does perk up. I'm hoping a few days without the competition of the other birds will help, and I'll be better able to monitor what she's eating and if she's eating. Her crop was pretty empty yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom