Chicken hypothermia emegency!

Zinnia-Hen

Live & Let Live
8 Years
Jan 29, 2011
My silkie hen, who does have some problems but was fine before, was found laying in her coop alive but very very cold. Last night was below freezing and I know that was what got her, and we now are holding her in a blanket by the sun. What else can I do to help her?

I wouldnt assume the cold weather is what got her. You said she had some problems, so maybe those problems are whats making her ill.

Quote:
It's possible, but she was fine before.

Also, I don't think she made it. She's very still now...

If you think it was the cold, I would bring her inside, and give her warm water to drink, and some warm mash made from crumbles. Then maybe put her back out tomorrow morning if she's better, and think of ways to keep her warmer at night.

A heat blanket or microwaved towel.
Or you could try a blow dryer on warm. I had a bunch of 3 day olds get caught in a freak flood of ice cold water and were all but dead. Some stiff and not moving. A blow dryer on them had them dry and running around in 30 minutes. They all made it to adulthood but are hardy breeder stock. I'm sure if they had issues or were hatchery stock they wouldn't have made it.

I know lots of people keep chickens as pets (especially silkies) but I only keep robust birds. Otherwise we're not doing the individual, the breed or ourselves any favors.

Quote:
That's what we're doing now. She's moving a bit now, and opening her beak a bit to breathe. When she's slightly more mobile I'll bring the food/water.

Quote:
It's possible, but she was fine before.

Also, I don't think she made it. She's very still now...

I'm sorry. Perhaps something else was wrong with her. Chickens usually tolerate pretty cold weather unless they're sick.

False alarm, actually. She's moving more now.

And yes she was weak and has a couple of issues, so we know that was part of it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom