Chicken in cow trough

thiggins

Chirping
Mar 28, 2017
Texas
Found my chicken in the water. She is cold. Shivering. I rinsed her in lukewarm water and have her in the house, wrapped in a towel. What else can or should I do? Temps today were in the 30s ans went up to 50s. Not sure how long she was in the water but for sure several hours.

Attachments

• 7FC6EBDA-CC4A-4E4D-88B7-E729E7F20449.jpeg
    7FC6EBDA-CC4A-4E4D-88B7-E729E7F20449.jpeg
    485.4 KB · Views: 9
Found my chicken in the water. She is cold. Shivering. I rinsed her in lukewarm water and have her in the house, wrapped in a towel. What else can or should I do? Temps today were in the 30s ans went up to 50s. Not sure how long she was in the water but for sure several hours.
Poor baby...good thing you found her in time! :hugs

You need to get her feathers dry. I wouldn't advise leaving her wet and wrapped in a towel for too long - it will offer the needed initial warm up but sitting in damp feathers will not be good long term.

Agree with previous posters - bust out the hair dryer or pop her in front of a small fan heater. Next best option is to pop her by a chick lamp or other heat source until she is sufficiently dried. Do be careful not to overheat her though - watch for signs of panting or trying to get away from the heat source.

Thanks everyone. Got her dried best I could, on low, and she still tried to crawl away. Looks like her left leg is definitely injured or still cold. I have her in a dry towel here with me.

Attachments

• E96AFDD1-8142-41E4-B10F-37849F717C6E.jpeg
    E96AFDD1-8142-41E4-B10F-37849F717C6E.jpeg
    505 KB · Views: 6
Thanks everyone. Got her dried best I could, on low, and she still tried to crawl away. Looks like her left leg is definitely injured or still cold. I have her in a dry towel here with me.
I expect the hairdryer was a new experience so not surprising she went to move away - but getting her dry is :thumbsup
Looks like she's now having a well needed rest after her adventures!
When I had rescues, once they're out of the "recovery" time and looking to eat a little, I found a wee bit of weetbix or oatmeal mixed into a mash with warm sugar water was often a good next step. Gave them a bit of warmth right into their tummy and some well needed energy. Warming up like that takes a lot of energy reserves - so a wee bit of sugar helps to give a quick boost.

UPDATE. She perked up as the sun set. She made it quite clear she did not want to be in the house or in a box. Took her out to the coop with her sisters and this morning she was already in the nesting box, back to usual egg business. Yeah!!!

Back
Top Bottom