Chicken in mourning or other reason for no eggs?

wwin

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 6, 2016
Long Beach, Ca.
Egg production from my 2 1-year old chickens slowed down then finally pretty much quit around December. We didn't add any extra light in the roost and weren't worried knowing we'd get more eggs when the days got longer. Sadly about a month ago a red hawk killed one of the girls while they were out enjoying some worms in my garden. It's now March and my one remaining girl isn't laying at all. I know she's lonely (I'm trying to get some started pullets but not having much luck here in So. Cal.) but am wondering if it's fear from the attack, loneliness or some illness I'm not seeing (she looks healthy, poop is good and is eating fine). I'd love any suggestions.

Some of mine are just beginning again. How old is she and what breed? Not having a flock could be stressful to her so ite possibly the reason.

I have 2 hens only and I was getting eggs alot and on a continous basis. I left to Mexico for a week and had someone take care of them. Now one of my hens is fluffed up and angry and no eggs and it's been 4 days now. She is eating and drinking and she looks healthy. Today she seemed weak and very tired and I'm so worried. Any ideas what's going on? I've been taking care of her in the house

I have 2 hens only and I was getting eggs alot and on a continous basis. I left to Mexico for a week and had someone take care of them. Now one of my hens is fluffed up and angry and no eggs and it's been 4 days now. She is eating and drinking and she looks healthy. Today she seemed weak and very tired and I'm so worried. Any ideas what's going on? I've been taking care of her in the house
She sounds broody.

She's a Barred Rock about 1 1/2 years old and is definitely unhappy about being alone. I've sent emails to a few places to see if they've got anything other than newborn chicks, so far no luck. I did get an earful from one place when I asked if they had any coop ready pullets, telling me how stupid I was and that I'd get taken advantage of by someone selling me old chickens. Tried to explain I wasn't looking for an adult hen already laying but he was too busy yelling at me to listen. Oh well, hopefully when I get her some companions she'll start laying again.

Last edited:
Do you not want to brood chicks? It can be the safest way to add new members as far as diseases go. Sorry you had to deal with crazy people.

I'd really prefer not to. I don't have the space /proper supplies heater etc. for young ones and with kitten season coming up my garage has a good chance of being used for cat rescue. I'd like to get companions out with the lonely girl as soon as possible. Ideally, I'd like to get some easter egger starter pullets from dare2dream farm but they don't have any right now. Maybe I'll call and see if they would let me buy some easter eggers and hold them till they are at least coop ready. I could then divide the coop so the Barred Rock has companions but can't get to them till they get bigger and comfortable with each other.

welcome-byc.gif

Where are you located? Putting your general location in your profile may prompt a member with started pullets to contact you.

Back
Top Bottom