Chicken in shock(?)

Update ² :

I don't know why I didn't notice this earlier, but her neck seems oddly positioned... (you'll see it once she's faced twords me with her head down):

It could just be me being paranoid though.

On a lighter note: Her movements seem a lot less sluggish than yesterday and I have yet to see her do that little involuntary head flick she was doing in the last video (Strange thing about that flick- I noticed whenever she was in the sun she'd do the flick, but whenever she was in the dark she wouldn't do it as often or even at all! no idea what that was about 🤔).

Update ² :

I don't know why I didn't notice this earlier, but her neck seems oddly positioned... (you'll see it once she's faced twords me with her head down):

It could just be me being paranoid though.

On a lighter note: Her movements seem a lot less sluggish than yesterday and I have yet to see her do that little involuntary head flick she was doing in the last video (Strange thing about that flick- I noticed whenever she was in the sun she'd do the flick, but whenever she was in the dark she wouldn't do it as often or even at all! no idea what that was about 🤔).
Hopefully the vitamins will help with that and her balance issues.

She may benefit from nail trimming too. Slowly work on getting them back to a reasonable length.
Hard to tell if she just has raised scales on the legs/feet due to being feather footed or if she has the beginnings of Scaly Leg Mites (which seems common in feather footed birds). It wouldn't hurt to rub some vaseline up under the scales of the feet/legs just in case.

Final Update:

She made a (near) full recovery

She gets occasionally off-balance, but there's no more head twitching or weird head bobbing. She's pretty much all back to normal.

Bonus: my dad finished with the new coop so now she doesn't have to live in a tiny cage anymore 😎👍

20230529_104456.jpg

Hopefully one day I can get her some flock mates of her own that won't be as mean to her-

She laid one Monday but not yesterday or today.

I have dried egg shells I crushed up into a fine powder, could I use that and just mix it into some egg or into her current feed?

I've heard some others recommending this to chickens who seem to have similar issues. I'll definitely have to give it a try!

( Btw here's a video of her and it captures some of the behavior I've been talking about plus a head flick she does:

)
I have read ahead and glad to see she is almost completely mended, she really does need a friend or two, silkies would be an option, they are small and generally none dramatic, and not usually bossy.

I guess I don’t need to tell you that horses and chickens do not mix well, hard lesson the learn but a proper housing was really needed for your pet. While I do have my chooks and horses in the stables they do not mix with the horses unless I am there, my T-bred mare shares her dinner with the chooks every day, and that is the only time I let them be around the crazy nut job horses!

I am glad for your pet’s sake your Dada finished the coop for you - it looks splendid - time to look for friends for your little beauty. Maybe you can post when you get friends for her, I would look forward to hearing how she gets on ❤️

Happy it ended well. I had no idea till reading threads here that shock could have this effect and for so long.

Two nights ago, ours suffered a fox attack. Thankfully, my partner got out and scared the fox away very fast. One seems unharmed but seems to exhibit the shock symptoms mentioned here and in another thread, i.e. can't stand without falling over, poor but improving appetite. We checked very thoroughly for broken bones. It's reassuring to know that shock is the most likely problem and a recovery can be expected.

The other has a large. but seemingly superficial wound with negligible blood loss, between her wings. We are treating that in the same way we did with a previous smaller but deeper injury (anbtibiotic cream/oral + viatamins/sugar water). So far, she's doing as well as can be expected.

Back
Top Bottom