Chicken in Surgery NOW~ Don't think she'll make it *sob!*** UPDATE!!!*

She's home now. I am giving her 1/2 pedialyte 1/2 water to combat her dehydration, and giving her softened starter crumbles for food. I am hoping the higher protein will help her bounce back faster. Thoughts????

You will not believe the nasty bag of sand that the vet showed me.........ugh (where is the puking smiley??). Like I said, it was 12 ounces, and her weight AFTER it was removed was 1 pound 10 ounces. It was like 50% of her body weight!

I asked about giving her yogurt-- the vet said no. Just to give the antibiotics/fungals, and give softened crumbles (I chose to substitute the starter/grower with higher protein for the layer), and give her some pedialyte for a while.

Anyway, we are still far from out of the woods, but her comb and wattles are red again, which is a good sign.
ya.gif

SAND?!?! That's crazy! Crazy bird, it's a good thing you were willing to have it treated! I'm so glad it's all turning out all right. If she survived all that, I think she'll make the recovery just fine! LOL. Make sure to cover that sand box!
wink.png

Did the vet make you pay for the surgery or just the euthanasia? I hope you didn't have to pay almost $400! That's quite a pretty penny. It was kind of your vet to do what she did!
clap.gif

-Kim

Well, she is doing great. She is furious she is in the "hospital" in the house and not with the other girls. And she fights me for 30 minutes twice a day
barnie.gif
to take her meds, but she is alive and doing really well.
yippiechickie.gif

My advice for impacted crop (assuming these are pets and you are willing to spend some serious cash) is the surgery. It sucks, but its true.

Thanks everyone!

*what a great vet that he decided to go ahead and try to save your chicken. . .even if it costs a lot, I'm very impressed that he was willing to try, ya know?? Do you suppose she ate sand cuz the other chickens wouldn't let her at the food or something???

Last edited:
dk-
This girl is Alpha chicken! My dd calls her "The Pig" because she eats 80% of any treat/worm/bug that is put out for them-- so she didn't get pushed out, for sure!

I think that when they were out free ranging in our yard she came upon the sandbox and probably saw a bug in it, ate it, and then just started being "The Pig" and gorging herself for whatever reason. At least, that's the best scenario I can think of!

Yes, I am very grateful to the vet for her unquenchable curiosity! I think she took pity on us because I had worked with her for so long (4 days!)-- That I was willing to take her to 2 different vets (she's a chicken!)-- and that we had already spent so much money on her ($200 at the first vet, plus the obvious fees for that day) and just couldn't do the $400 for that surgery that she herself said would probably not solve the problem as it was most likely systemic. I think she had a great big heart that day, and just decided to take a chance on an obviously much-loved bantam chicken!

Back
Top Bottom