Chicken in the dog house...

kcirello

In the Brooder
Jan 25, 2017
About 3 weeks ago I came home from work to find a chicken in the dog house. I have always wanted to have chickens, just never went out to start my own. So I don't know any neighbors that have chickens - it was a cold snowy night, so I put her in my shed. I went out to get all the materials I would need including a coop. I contacted someone who was selling chick's and got a few chick's so she could have company in a month or 2. I talked to the guy we bought the chick's from and he said my dog house chicken was a female about 16 weeks. So here's my question....
The past few days she has been staying in the coop laying in a nest for most of the day, she seems very mellow, but still comes out to eat and drink. We have never gotten eggs from her... is this mellow/nesting for a few days typical when they are about to lay their first egg ever?

Hi and welcome to BYC. Does she fluff her feathers up and kinda growl if you approach her on the nest? It's normal for almost new laying pullets to check out the nest boxes, but not to sit there for most of the day (in my experience, at least). Some chickens seem to forget to read the rule book and there always seems to be exceptions to the rule.

About 3 weeks ago I came home from work to find a chicken in the dog house. I have always wanted to have chickens, just never went out to start my own. So I don't know any neighbors that have chickens - it was a cold snowy night, so I put her in my shed. I went out to get all the materials I would need including a coop. I contacted someone who was selling chick's and got a few chick's so she could have company in a month or 2. I talked to the guy we bought the chick's from and he said my dog house chicken was a female about 16 weeks. So here's my question....
The past few days she has been staying in the coop laying in a nest for most of the day, she seems very mellow, but still comes out to eat and drink. We have never gotten eggs from her... is this mellow/nesting for a few days typical when they are about to lay their first egg ever?
Nope, usually pullets about to lay their first egg are rambunctious, squawking, chattering, tearing up the nest trying to 'dig to china', pacing, in and out of nests.

She may be older than 16 weeks and thinking about gong broody....they can be crabby and vocal if you try to touch them.

Can you post a pic of her?

Oh...and..Welcome to BYC!

Let me know if any other kinds of pictures would be helpful I would love to know more about my random doghouse chicken

Last edited:
It's really hard to guess a birds age after about 6 months, sometimes their feet will tell a tale.
She could be the proposed 16 weeks, tho I think she looks to be older than that, but younger than a year.
She looks to be in great shape, wonder where she came from?

As to why she's sitting in the nest alot, it's hard to say...are you sure she's in there all day while you're at work?
Is she eating, drinking, pooping OK?

Yes she has been going out to eat drink and poop. She started digging holes a few days before she started going in the box. Today I noticed a new hole. Also... just to see what would happen I put a ping pong ball in the box she had been favoring and today she is in a different box. I do work during the day so I'm not sure... I check on her in the am, afternoon, and before bed. Maybe another visit around dinner.

Is she sleeping in the nest at night?
They should really sleep on the roost to keep nests clean....
...but if a bird who regularly sleeps on the roost begins sitting in the nest at night and most the day could be broody.
I'm betting she may just feel safe there being in a new place and all.
Did you get her chicks, are they in the coop too?

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome & congrats on the new chicken. 16 weeks seems a little too young to lay, but I'm no expert. Its possible she's exhausted from whatever adventures led her to you & just enjoying a safe, warm, dry place to recover? Whatever her motivations & look forward to hearing more. Have you named her yet?

The first 2 weeks or so she was sleeping on the roost. I think the past few nights have been in the nest, but she's not pooping in the nest so it is staying clean. The chick's are 4 weeks old and still getting their feathers so they are still inside. We named her snowy, in light of the snowny night we found her.

The first 2 weeks or so she was sleeping on the roost. I think the past few nights have been in the nest, but she's not pooping in the nest so it is staying clean. The chick's are 4 weeks old and still getting their feathers so they are still inside. We named her snowy, in light of the snowny night we found her.
That sounds pretty good.
What is your climate/location?
Do you have plans on how to integrate the chicks with her...she may enjoy the company, or not.

Back
Top Bottom