Chicken in the Hood San Bernardino, CA.

Hello
frow.gif
from Hesperia,CA and
welcome-byc.gif
yippiechickie.gif
D.gif

Mine free range only when I'm outside with them, but I have almost 4 acres of unfenced yard. They have a quite large run when I'm at work or otherwise not outside. I'd never let them free-range without me being there. During the day, their biggest threats are "free-ranging" dogs & hawks. But, if I lived urban with a small enclosed yard... I might let them free-range when I was inside the house & could still hear them... not sure. But no way would they free-range if I wasn't close by, even in a small enclosed but uncovered yard.....

HI Desert Rooster. Could you offer advise where to get young hens in the area? I would like to pick from some variety. Do you free range out in your yard?

Thanks chi-rn for now i have to free range. I dont have to worry about the dogs just the hawks. They would have to be really brave or hungry to come in the yard. I will make a run for my hen asap.

Quote:
Hi Kim, Nice to meet you. Think its ok to free range as long as i'm home? Are you saying to keep them covered all of the time.

So far, they're only free-ranging when I'm also working in the yard. I put them back in the covered run when I'm not around to watch them. One day... when I have more confidence that hawks won't yank them, I'll let them out more.
big_smile.png

I've just heard that there are too many hawks around here to confidently let them wander free.

- Kim

Hi there! I'm also in San Bernardino and have 6 chickens (7,000 sqft lot). My girls have a coop and run but I leave the door unlatched at all times so they can come and go as they please. I had to leave them in the coop for the first week or two so they would learn to go in on their own at night.

Here is the coop we built (no plans, just winged it):

50133_chickens010.jpg

50133_chickens001.jpg

50133_chickens003.jpg

50133_chickens002.jpg

It works well on the 110 days and just as well when we get down into the 30's, is easy to walk into and is easy to clean. I'm not sure what feed store you are going to but I really recommend Kendall Drive Feed both for chicks and feed, the owner is really friendly and helpful.

butterflygrooves, Your images are very helpful. I have a few questions. Is your coop in the shade most if the time?

I love your simple design. How did you attach the wire to the wood?

Do you just have one nesting box for all 6 hens?

How many eggs do you get?

Sorry one more question... lol When you say you leave the latch open do you mean on the coop or allow them to walk your yard?

I have been to the Kendell feed store. He was very friendly.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom