Chicken Inborn Instincts

No one around me sells Bresse cbickens either or seems familiar with them.

I watched a YouTube video by the Swedish Homestead on his experience with the Bresse chicken. Evidently he is all in for the Bresse as his main breed because they perform better than other dual purpose breeds he has raised. I looked to buy some locally, but nobody offered them last year when I was ordering my chicks. Anyway, Bresse is a copyright name for those chickens from France, and the Bresse chickens we do get imported here in the USA are called American Bresse. Anyway, here is the YouTube video by Swedish Homestead....

I watched a YouTube video by the Swedish Homestead on his experience with the Bresse chicken. Evidently he is all in for the Bresse as his main breed because they perform better than other dual purpose breeds he has raised. I looked to buy some locally, but nobody offered them last year when I was ordering my chicks. Anyway, Bresse is a copyright name for those chickens from France, and the Bresse chickens we do get imported here in the USA are called American Bresse. Anyway, here is the YouTube video by Swedish Homestead....

Thanks for the video. I have watched some other videos of his in the past. I did learn that the Bresse here (American) are not the same because France has a law not allowing them out of the country. And one reason the Bresse is so good is the taste of the meat because they free range such a distance. But for me, I don't want them for meat but they are duel purpose. I just want the eggs . I already get enough eggs from my others but it's a hobby. But sadly to me, I will have to send the Roos away to my daughter inlaw who will process them for the meat. She has no problem doing that and I
cant keep any more roosters and have harmony in my chicken yard. There is no other answer for me.
I made such a typo when I was mentioning how I lost money on some eggs online before getting these Bresse eggs. I researched Swedish Flower Hen a very lively hardy chicken originating from Sweeden and some are still in the wild there. That was what I wanted. I bought 12 eggs none hatched. But nothing else hatched that round either out of 24 more eggs of mine that I know are fertile. Looking back, I believe I just had too many eggs in the incubator and had temperature too low. Very disappointing. So I was trying for some more Swedish Flower Hen eggs and not wanting to spend much I tried to do a bid but lost. That's when another seller sent me a message with the offer of the 7 Bresse eggs so I settled. Saturday tomorrow will be 1 week since all 10 of these chicks have first saw the land. They have been kept in side in a box brooder in my utility room since hatching.

I did learn that the Bresse here (American) are not the same because France has a law not allowing them out of the country.

I really don't know how different American Bresse are, genetically, from the "true" French Bresse. But we all know that raising chickens in different climates, on different food, etc... can make a difference in the quality/taste of the meat and eggs. Also, from what limited information I have learned, the French have chicken dinners that taste better with a 2 year old chicken as opposed to the typical 8 week old Cornish-X we usually get here in the USA. At any rate, the Bresse chicken looks like a very nice duel purpose bird and I would gladly have some in my flock.

I recently hatched some chicken eggs in an incubator. I just wanted to add a new small batch to the ones I already have.
I was given a dozen large eggs from a nearby neighbor of various mixed breeds. Then I found a deal on 7 Bresse hatching eggs and bought them to incubate at the same time. I was pleased that 6 out of the 7 of the Bresses eggs hatched. And of course they were all light yellow and turned white after they grew their feathers. Out of the 12 various mixed breed eggs, only 4 hatched. One mixed breed chick was light yellow just like the Bresses. So I immediately got a cotton tip and marked it with blue food coloring so I wouldn't confuse it with the Bresses. It too turned all white like the Bresses when feathers developed. It looked identical to the Bresses, So I thought, "what are the chances?" Then I called the neighbor. No, she has no Bresses but some of her mixed breed are white hens. Father Rooster to all is a Buff Orpington mix.
These 10 chicks were cared for in my make shift rigged brooder for 8 weeks. Every several days, I re marked the white mixed breed to be absolutely sure that I didnt confuse it with the Bresses because later I intend to breed only the Bresses and I will separate them.
Well a few days ago I decided it's time to let them forage for the fitst time at 8 weeks of age. I'm amazed because the group of 4 mixed breeds went together on one side of the 75 ft lot. While the group of 6 Bresse go to the other side. I didn't expect this since they were all hatched together and spent their lives together in the box. At least that solid white mixed breed it seems would have believed it belonged to the Bresse group, but no, it joined the mixed breeds. When they put themselves up it's will always 6 Bresses on the far right (West ) and the 4 mixed on the far left (East).
Okay so they know they are different. Born instinct. The groups do not squabble or fight and come together briefly to eat and drink then go back with their own group.
I've always seen my older chickens stay with their own breed (Ive always had more than 1 breed ) but I never expected these young ones to have a clue about that.
This morning I didn't see any chicks. I looked up and saw hawks flying over head. We have always had a lot hawks but none has ever snatched one of my chickens although I'm Leary of them and I've had chickens since 2012. Once I know of one trying, but the heavy hen was able to get free. But this morning I truely believed the hawks had snatched these young small chicks.
Then I looked around. I found the young chicks hiding under a portable building. Again 6 Bresses one side and 4 mixed on the opposite end. So the chicks had the instinct to hide while the hawks were over head. My grown chickens go into the pen and call out squawking to one another when hawks are circling. These youngsters stayed silent. I found that amazing. When hawks went away, the chicks came back out.
[/QU
I recently hatched some chicken eggs in an incubator. I just wanted to add a new small batch to the ones I already have.
I was given a dozen large eggs from a nearby neighbor of various mixed breeds. Then I found a deal on 7 Bresse hatching eggs and bought them to incubate at the same time. I was pleased that 6 out of the 7 of the Bresses eggs hatched. And of course they were all light yellow and turned white after they grew their feathers. Out of the 12 various mixed breed eggs, only 4 hatched. One mixed breed chick was light yellow just like the Bresses. So I immediately got a cotton tip and marked it with blue food coloring so I wouldn't confuse it with the Bresses. It too turned all white like the Bresses when feathers developed. It looked identical to the Bresses, So I thought, "what are the chances?" Then I called the neighbor. No, she has no Bresses but some of her mixed breed are white hens. Father Rooster to all is a Buff Orpington mix.
These 10 chicks were cared for in my make shift rigged brooder for 8 weeks. Every several days, I re marked the white mixed breed to be absolutely sure that I didnt confuse it with the Bresses because later I intend to breed only the Bresses and I will separate them.
Well a few days ago I decided it's time to let them forage for the fitst time at 8 weeks of age. I'm amazed because the group of 4 mixed breeds went together on one side of the 75 ft lot. While the group of 6 Bresse go to the other side. I didn't expect this since they were all hatched together and spent their lives together in the box. At least that solid white mixed breed it seems would have believed it belonged to the Bresse group, but no, it joined the mixed breeds. When they put themselves up it's will always 6 Bresses on the far right (West ) and the 4 mixed on the far left (East).
Okay so they know they are different. Born instinct. The groups do not squabble or fight and come together briefly to eat and drink then go back with their own group.
I've always seen my older chickens stay with their own breed (Ive always had more than 1 breed ) but I never expected these young ones to have a clue about that.
This morning I didn't see any chicks. I looked up and saw hawks flying over head. We have always had a lot hawks but none has ever snatched one of my chickens although I'm Leary of them and I've had chickens since 2012. Once I know of one trying, but the heavy hen was able to get free. But this morning I truely believed the hawks had snatched these young small chicks.
Then I looked around. I found the young chicks hiding under a portable building. Again 6 Bresses one side and 4 mixed on the opposite end. So the chicks had the instinct to hide while the hawks were over head. My grown chickens go into the pen and call out squawking to one another when hawks are circling. These youngsters stayed silent. I found that amazing. When hawks went away, the chicks came back out.
I lost all of my American Bresse except 1 Roo. A neighbor's Terrier came to the coop when they settled for the evening. The dog had dug in a few other times but chicks were able to run under a building. I complained to the owner they apologized but tried to assure me it wouldn't happen again even so the dog was gentle and wouldn't harm a flea. I was very disappointed but it's done and over. The dog now stays inside. They assured me he would stay on a leash when he comes out in the future.
I have 6 more American Bresse eggs in the incubator due for hatching April 5.

I lost all of my American Bresse except 1 Roo. A neighbor's Terrier came to the coop when they settled for the evening. The dog had dug in a few other times but chicks were able to run under a building. I complained to the owner they apologized but tried to assure me it wouldn't happen again even so the dog was gentle and wouldn't harm a flea. I was very disappointed but it's done and over. The dog now stays inside. They assured me he would stay on a leash when he comes out in the future.
I have 6 more American Bresse eggs in the incubator due for hatching April 5.

It has been my experience that dogs will find a way to get out of the house or off the leash/chain. Have you tried putting a 2 foot predator apron around your coop/chicken run? I have seen simple aprons like that just laid down on the ground with a bit of dirt thrown on top of the wire to let the grass grow through. The wire apron is hidden from sight but if the neighbor's dog tries to dig into the coop/chicken run he will soon hit the wire and that should discourage him. Sorry for your loss, and hope you find a better way to keep your flock safe from the dogs then a wish and promise from even a well meaning neighbor.

It has been my experience that dogs will find a way to get out of the house or off the leash/chain. Have you tried putting a 2 foot predator apron around your coop/chicken run? I have seen simple aprons like that just laid down on the ground with a bit of dirt thrown on top of the wire to let the grass grow through. The wire apron is hidden from sight but if the neighbor's dog tries to dig into the coop/chicken run he will soon hit the wire and that should discourage him. Sorry for your loss, and hope you find a better way to keep your flock safe from the dogs then a wish and promise from even a well meaning neighbor.
[/

The coop I have for the new American Bresses is a well constructed welder wire animal cage i put a reflector roof and tarp half way up .It is about impossible for a dog or animal to get to them. It's just that each evening, I close the door when they settled in. They free range in the fenced yard at will all day. If something scares them they scram under a portable building for safety . I had not closed the door yet that evening. Had it on my mind but too late.Thank you for the kind words.

Back
Top Bottom