Chicken injured!

bannys barnyard

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2022
This morning we found that one of our hens had become our dogs play toy. She doesn’t seem to have any teeth marks on her but missing feathers on her back and around her neck. We applied some bactine cleanings/pain killing spray and put her in a dog crate outside so she can still socialize. Any advice on what to do?
6B4DFD54-DEC3-43C3-B0FF-37FBE0276EA4.jpeg

How is she feeling? Can she walk around, and is she eating and drinking? Does she seem to alert or in shock? If she is in shock, you can offer some sweetened water, 1 tsp per 8 ounce cup. Gatorade or electrolytes work too.

Be sure to look for hidden punctures/tooth wounds under wings. Her wounds should heal within weeks, but instead of the bactine, I would use some Vetericycn or similar brand of wound spray, saline, or chlorhexidene 2%. Over the scrapes when dry, apply some plain Neosporin or triple antibiotic, or Bacitracin ointment. Do not cover. A clean old towel for bedding would keep pine shavings from getting into wounds.

How is she feeling? Can she walk around, and is she eating and drinking? Does she seem to alert or in shock? If she is in shock, you can offer some sweetened water, 1 tsp per 8 ounce cup. Gatorade or electrolytes work too.

Be sure to look for hidden punctures/tooth wounds under wings. Her wounds should heal within weeks, but instead of the bactine, I would use some Vetericycn or similar brand of wound spray, saline, or chlorhexidene 2%. Over the scrapes when dry, apply some plain Neosporin or triple antibiotic, or Bacitracin ointment. Do not cover. A clean old towel for bedding would keep pine shavings from getting into wounds.
She was walking around a little bit when we first found her but she’s only taken a few steps since she’s been in the dog crate. She is eating and drinking. She is very shaking and she’s keeping her eyes closed but if I get near her she looks around. She’s not bleeding too much. Under her wings it looks like the skin has been torn off but it looks pretty clean. Thank you so much for the advice! We will try to find some of the other wound spray you mentioned.

Most feed stores carry Vetericyn, Microsyn or other brands. Chlorhexidene or Hibiclens is a good thing for human wound care as well. You can mix the Hibiclens half with water and make a spray, or squirt it on. Make sure that she is warm enough, especially while you are spraying her. Is she inside?

Most feed stores carry Vetericyn, Microsyn or other brands. Chlorhexidene or Hibiclens is a good thing for human wound care as well. You can mix the Hibiclens half with water and make a spray, or squirt it on. Make sure that she is warm enough, especially while you are spraying her. Is she inside?
Okay, I will check tractor supply today. We have her outside in a dog crate on the side of the house with the most sun. It’s pretty warm and we gave her some shade. I wanted her to still be able to see and talk to the other hens.

Back
Top Bottom