Chicken Injury

melwilky02

Hatching
Aug 19, 2019
I went out to check on my chickens and one had escaped her run. I saw a whole bunch of feathers on the outside of our trampoline net and realized she was badly injured and her back feathers were ripped off showing skin. I have her away from the other chickens but are there any suggestions on care for her? Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_0668.JPG
    IMG_0668.JPG
    221.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_E0669.JPG
    IMG_E0669.JPG
    224.6 KB · Views: 8
She'll heal up fine with a little basic wound care. It's important immediately to wash and flush the wound of all dirt and bacteria. Then spray with Vetericyn.

Keep the wound moist with an antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin. Do this every day until new tissue forms over the raw wound.

Welcome to BYC and sorry about your chicken. Where is the wound? Is that the vent in the first picture? What first aid products do you have? Betadine or Hibiclens (chlorhexidene) or a wound spray like Vetericyn, Tharacyn, and other can be good for initial cleaning. Plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment are good for the wound after cleaning and disinfection. Do not use hydrogen peroxide. Soap and water are fine or saline, along with the antibiotic ointment twice a day.

Look for any seep punctures, and any other injuries under wings and elsewhere. Place her in a quiet area in case she is in shock. How is she acting? Can she stand or walk? Is she alert or lethargic?

I went out to check on my chickens and one had escaped her run. I saw a whole bunch of feathers on the outside of our trampoline net and realized she was badly injured and her back feathers were ripped off showing skin. I have her away from the other chickens but are there any suggestions on care for her? Thank you.
My standard is clean wound with warm water depending on area you can sit her in a bucket, then apply Vetracyin and triple antibiotic without the pain component 2 times a day, and keep in a kennel in the coop so she doesn't have to go through pecking order again, When I see it's healing Then I use blue kote on wounded area until feathers start coming back in, and watch her a bit closer but let her back out with the flock . Thank heavens they are amazingly resilient when it comes to wounds more so than illness.

The wounds are on her back. TSC told me to use Wound Kote. I wanted to check with all the experts here. I do have neosporin and bactracin here at the house. I have enjoyed reading the articles and comments on these threads. Not how I had hoped to introduce myself. She is sitting quietly in a large dog cage we have in the garage and she is talking when I go out. Outside of cleaning the wound with a wet rag I havent done anything else yet. She is able to stand and walk around.

The wounds are on her back. TSC told me to use Wound Kote. I wanted to check with all the experts here. I do have neosporin and bactracin here at the house. I have enjoyed reading the articles and comments on these threads. Not how I had hoped to introduce myself. She is sitting quietly in a large dog cage we have in the garage and she is talking when I go out. Outside of cleaning the wound with a wet rag I havent done anything else yet. She is able to stand and walk around.
Welcome to the crazy world of Chickens and BYC. I never put any Kote on until she's ready to go back out with the flock but maybe one of the experts will chime in

She'll heal up fine with a little basic wound care. It's important immediately to wash and flush the wound of all dirt and bacteria. Then spray with Vetericyn.

Keep the wound moist with an antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin. Do this every day until new tissue forms over the raw wound.

Thank you. It looks horrendous and I'm a worried chicken mom. She's the sweetest one out of my girls

Back
Top Bottom