Chicken Integration No. 2

* I thought there was a hard-and-fast rule about having a 30 day quarantine! I thought I would have been scolded for trying to combine the groups after only less than 3 weeks.

You never know what you might be scolded about on here. I put rocks in my waterers when I have small chicks so they won't drown when they jump in. I was told I did not love my chicks enough if I was so cheap that I used free rocks instead of buying pretty marbles for that. Yes, that really happened.

Some people have rules that are so strict and stiff that if they burped they'd get a hernia, they are that stiff. I can think of a few politicians like that. I could write several paragraphs on quarantine, how to do it and when it is more important. I'm not going to do that right now. It's too late anyway so why try to make someone feel bad. On a few topics I'll go into a better way to do something next time when I think there will be a next time and they currently have a problem. I try to not do that in a demeaning way.

The one I'm a little surprised about is that you haven't gotten the ones about square feet per bird in the coop. I've read that you have to have anywhere from 1 square feet per bird to 15 square feet per bird in the coop. Some mention the run, many don't. 3 or 4 square feet per bird in the coop seem most popular. I still think you may have issues integrating in that coop if you lock them in there. The more room you can give them when integrating the better. But for your normal operations you said the pop door is open so they can come and go as they please. That means coop size is less important. If trouble is brewing in the coop they run outside where they have lots of room.

I wish you luck. Sometimes these things go so smoothly you wonder what all the worry was about. Unfortunately sometimes you understand.

Well, I have news! I read and re-read, and then had hubby read, and we discussed, then we acted on the advice and put everyone together today! It seems to have worked!
Since it is not going to be too far below freezing tonight, I am leaving the pop door open.
I rearranged the furniture and added obstacles. (see photos). I added another watering and feeding station in a hiding place I added a couple meaty beef bones and refilled the millet holders with fresh sprays. We let them interact for a couple hours while it was a balmy 36 F, and we did not see any actual harm, just posturing.
I think secretly my ladies missed the two the hawk got and are happy to have 3 more in the flock. Plus one bantam has had to sleep alone, so maybe she will welcome warm bodies on her perch.
20201219_134113.jpg
20201219_134229.jpg

That bigger coop look larger than 4x5.
Might take a tape to it....and pics of inside?
OK - Measuring tape utilized: Coop outside dimensions are: 61" high, 51" wide, and 74" deep.
Here are photos from the inside. When we bought it, it had one huge nesting box, and so we added a divider for two. Since I have bantams, invariably someone is broody at any given time so they are pretty good about group lays. We added one perch bar about 4" off the floor in the back of the coop, for hanging around during the cold days. There is a long ladder and two night roosts. The window opens and there are vents in the front and back.
20201219_134317.jpg
20201219_134328.jpg
20201219_134345.jpg

Yes, the newbies were hanging around inside (on the floor) when I checked them at 4 pm, while everyone else was on their bed roost. Checked them at 6:30 pm (dark) and they made it up to the roosting bar that had the lonely bantam.
Yes, I do know this but we have a very secure fence and in 5 years, no one has gotten into the yard except a mouse. I think it adds so much to the peace (and maybe lowers the poop load in the coop) to have the pop door open whenever it is warm enough. We don't have bears, maybe we are lucky with the minks etc. A mink got one once when ice popped the yard door open and everyone got out unsupervised.

The one I'm a little surprised about is that you haven't gotten the ones about square feet per bird in the coop. I've read that you have to have anywhere from 1 square feet per bird to 15 square feet per bird in the coop. Some mention the run, many don't. 3 or 4 square feet per bird in the coop seem most popular. I still think you may have issues integrating in that coop if you lock them in there. The more room you can give them when integrating the better. But for your normal operations you said the pop door is open so they can come and go as they please. That means coop size is less important. If trouble is brewing in the coop they run outside where they have lots of room.
I did the calculations and I have 3.27 square feet on the floor per bird inside the coop, but remember 4/5 of the older birds were bantams, 3/5 very small ones. With 5 feet vertical and many perches, there are places to jump and fly to. It seems roomy and I hope everyone stays peaceful. 16 sq feet per bird in the run.

Back
Top Bottom