Chicken is having dark green poop

MndaG

Songster
5 Years
May 15, 2018
NH(USA)
I have one chicken who has a very messy bum. And when I was letting them free range she had dark green diarrhea. I did give them some blueberries earlier so I don’t know if that would be the cause. She’s eating, drinking and laying eggs.But I was wondering if anyone can help me out. I’ll try to get a picture of her behind not sure if I can get a good one.

Behavior, more than poop, will tell you about the health and vigor of a chicken.

As you suspect, eating blueberries, high in water content, can produce watery poop and if they were partially ripe, also the green tint to the poop.

Green poop from a chicken behaving lethargically can be assumed to contain bile which is green and shows up when the chicken has a very poor appetite. This usually signifies, along with the sluggish behavior, that the chicken may be suffering from a disorder of some kind, and further investigation is warranted.

Chickens have all different kinds of poop. I agree with Azygous, if she is active, bright eyed, eating and laying, don't worry.

Sometimes their bum does need a wash off. Some people clip the feathers if it is an ongoing problem. I live in sandy soil, so while I once or twice have washed a bum, most of the time not a problem.

Chickens have all different kinds of poop. I agree with Azygous, if she is active, bright eyed, eating and laying, don't worry.

Sometimes their bum does need a wash off. Some people clip the feathers if it is an ongoing problem. I live in sandy soil, so while I once or twice have washed a bum, most of the time not a problem.
Thank you!

Behavior, more than poop, will tell you about the health and vigor of a chicken.

As you suspect, eating blueberries, high in water content, can produce watery poop and if they were partially ripe, also the green tint to the poop.

Green poop from a chicken behaving lethargically can be assumed to contain bile which is green and shows up when the chicken has a very poor appetite. This usually signifies, along with the sluggish behavior, that the chicken may be suffering from a disorder of some kind, and further investigation is warranted.
Thank you!

There are ways to wash butts. One old farmer aims a hose stream from a distance at the offending butt. More efficient and less likely to get your chicken mad at you is to back them up to a small wash basin and splash warm water on the crust to loosen it, then pick it off of the feathers. Rinse with more warm water.

I have also used children's bubble bath liquid in th wash water for a one step wash job. The secret is not to rub the feathers, but be gentle. Use a mild soap so the feathers are less likely to lose their natural oils.

How do you clip those feathers? And how short do you go?

Back
Top Bottom