Chicken is Limping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Silkie2, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Silkie2

Silkie2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2016
    New England
    Gave her some mashed up warm chicken pellets (mixed with oats, cause she loves oats) she's definitely not putting pressure on one foot. I'm going to soak her feet in a little bit, (thought I'd let her settle in)
    Do you think I should let her stay in the house overnight? (It will probably get colder outside at night)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Keep her inside the house.Cold will kill a sick chicken.I would also give her some scrambled eggs.

3. Silkie2

Mar 1, 2016
    New England
    Wouldn't giving them eggs give them the taste of eggs and make them eat there eggs in the nesting box? (We have a problem with our chickens eating eggs when they lay the egg)
    Also, how long should I let her soak her feet? ( the water goes halfway up her legs, I didn't do anymore, because I didn't want water to reach her "butt feathers")

4. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    If you fry it up she wont know what it is.20 min should be fine

5. Silkie2

Mar 1, 2016
    New England
    Ok thanks :) I'll fry one up.

6. Silkie2

Mar 1, 2016
    New England
    Hard to see, but the dark spots are blue...what is it???
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. GingersHuman

GingersHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2016
    NC
    Please post pics of the bottoms of her feet.

8. Silkie2

Mar 1, 2016
    New England
    [​IMG]
    Sorry her feet are a bit dirty. I think she has a small scab on one foot but not too bad
    [​IMG]

9. Alice23

Alice23 Just Hatched

Sep 6, 2016
    When I noticed my chicken limping I inspected her foot and found a black scab similar to the one in your first picture. It was bumblefoot so she had the infection treated at a bird vet. You'll want to get her seen by a vet quickly as the earlier you control it, the better (if it is bumblefoot, but it sounds like she needs vet attention either way).

10. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Have you tried squeezing each foot pad gently to see if she shows a pain reaction with that first one. It does look more swollen and the scab looks suspiciously like bumblefoot. There are many posts on here about the treatment of bumblefoot, but it depends how courageous you are about cutting into it as to whether a vet may be required or not. It is well worth reading up on it and watching some you tube videos before you make the decision to tackle it yourself or seek veterinary attention.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by