Chicken is Limping

Thank you! The link was very helpful!!
How can I get silver too eat? She hardly ate the scrambled eggs, she won't eat her chicken feed... :/

Hi

The company of other chickens will encourage her to eat. Can you put her in a cage in or next to the run with your other chickens so that she is clean and safe but can see the others. Sprinkle some scratch around the cage as well as in it so that the other chickens feed around her. Being kept on her own will lead to depression and then lack of appetite which is a major problem. You could bring her inside overnight for warmth and put her out through the day. Either that or bring a low ranking bird in to keep her company....but be prepared for a bit of a fight. I've had chickens in the infirmary that I thought were at deaths door, suddenly find the strength to fight for their territory when |I added another sick chicken....they settled down and became best friends once the pecking order was sorted but quite shocking to see two quite severely disabled chickens fighting!

Well done for getting her bandaged up. Hopefully you will be able to repeat the process. I would be inclined to use a poultice dressing similar to Animalintex which is used for horses with abscesses. You soak them in hot water and apply for 3 days and then dry poultice for another 2 with horses but you may need to hot poultice for a bit longer with chickens because the puss is more solid and cheesy texture rather than liquid puss in horses and humans, so it will take longer to soften and draw it out.

Good luck with her

Regards

Barbara

During the day it's around 30 degrees so I'm not sure I should let her out then, it'll be like that all January :/ (life up north lol)
What about a silkie? (their always at the bottom of the pecking order lol)
I'll have to get a bigger bucket.
The only medicine I have is vetrycn.
The foot hasn't gotten better but hasn't gotten worse...?

Ok so I brought her outside, she couldn't even stand up on the leg that has bumblefoot. The foot was wrapped. But she can't even stand up anymore, she ate a little of the scrambled eggs (seems like the only thing she'll eat) I can't get her to drink water also. The bumblefoot doesn't even look that bad compared to the pictures so I don't know why she can't even stand up....???

Hi

My thoughts are that there may be an underlying issue to this lameness other than the bumblefoot. The bumblefoot may even be as a result of a compromised immune system.
I'm thinking possibly Marek's. If you search chicken sling or hammock you will come up with some images and ideas for making something that will at least keep her in a comfortable upright position, if she is no longer able to stand. Good nutrition to support the immune system is all I can recommend and TLC and sunshine and grass whenever it is possible.

Good luck with her.

Barbara

Back
Top Bottom