Chicken is missing a chunk

The caps on the rooster’s spurs can be removed without hurting the rooster. They’ll grow back, so it has to be done periodically. If I could remember where I saw that I’d give you a link, but you can search “rooster spur removal” or similar.
My mom said that she shoved the rooster's spurs into a hot baked potato for a few minutes to soften it up, then popped the outer spur keratin off with a pair of pliers.

My mom said that she shoved the rooster's spurs into a hot baked potato for a few minutes to soften it up, then popped the outer spur keratin off with a pair of pliers.
Thanks! Great idea. None of ny roos are big enough to have spurs yet, but I have to remember that one.

Good question.

I know some of the sprays sting.
I sprayed blucote on one of my hens’ necks because the $#&@* cockerel scalped her. (He is now in with the BBWs awaiting sufficient growth to make him worth processing.) She didn’t flinch or act like it bothered her at all. It did however get all over my hand. :barnie You can get it off with alcohol but not if your hands are all covered with rough callouses. Anyway, wear gloves. It covers the red so you can leave the chicken in with the flock. They don’t care about blue.

It covers the red so you can leave the chicken in with the flock. They don’t care about blue.
No guarantees there...have had blukote attract pecking attention.....even from the bird it was on, he wanted to preen that stuff off.
Red doesn't necessarily prompt pecking.....or no chicken would have combs or wattles :lol:

Is there some reason not to use blucote on this kind of wound?
No, there's no reason Blu Kote could not be used, for me, it's usually just preference of products. The wound doesn't look too deep, so Blu Kote would be fine - I do like it for it's healing properties and will use it in certain situations, but the color makes it hard to see the tissue - plus it stains/makes a mess - no matter how careful I am with application, I end up with it all over me and usually the patient too :lol:

I'm so sorry your lady got torn up. Definitely looks like a rooster breeding injury :( If you'd like a saddle for her, just send me a PM. They work wonders for protection during healing. My website is in my signature if you want to see pictures and examples. I would clean it thoroughly and if you have blue kote, i would spray it with that and coat with Neosporin (without pain relief)

Back
Top Bottom