Chicken is SLOOOOW

Apr 27, 2021
So I have this silkie, blue splash, born April 27, 15 ish weeks old. I suspect it’s a female, it’s much smaller then it’s 3 other silkie siblings BUT what really gets me is how “weak” it is. It doesn’t jump or get into the coop on its own. All my other chickens do, but this one stays behind in the yard and waits for me to come close the coop at night and put it up in the coop. Overall its less active then the others. It seems to be always “tired” - really hard to describe it, but it’s obvious its “different”. Is this something I should be worried about? It eats food just fine.

A certain percentage of chickens (or any other animal for that matter) fail to thrive.
Add to that, silkies aren't particularly vigorous or robust chickens.
I would be worried but what else can you do but keep an eye on it.
You can be prepared to send it off for a necropsy at your poultry lab should it not survive.

A certain percentage of chickens (or any other animal for that matter) fail to thrive.
Add to that, silkies aren't particularly vigorous or robust chickens.
I would be worried but what else can you do but keep an eye on it.
You can be prepared to send it off for a necropsy at your poultry lab should it not survive.
But I though failure to thrive was only with baby chicks. Could this be so at 15 weeks old?

Has it not always behaved this way?
Yes it is often referred to in chicks but failure to thrive to me means it just isn't a robust being for any number of reasons. I once had a cousin in a family of 13 children. All his life he was sickly. He died at the age of 15. Not exactly a child.

Back
Top Bottom