Chicken Isn't acting right

GeraldTheLlama

Hatching
May 5, 2021
I'm not sure if this has been talked about, but one of my chickens acts in an unusual way to the others. We've had the chickens for about a year now and I hadn't noticed until the past 2 ish months. One of my hens acts incredibly strang, she walks fine, eats fine, and as far as I know, Lays fine. She isolates herself from all the other chickens. Usually our chickens go in one to two herds around our yard (they are free roam) and most follow our large rooster for protection, she will often stray from them and hang out on her own. She will isolate and hang around a spot looking around and feeling around for a long while after they've already left and she has a habit of laying down in piles of leaves by her self (no eggs are being laid, she just likes to rest.) She has laid down in the middle of our drive way, in leaves and in a stick pile we made, she's also far less aggressive for food like her sisters and is more timid. I was wondering if this is linked to a possible health issue or may be some sort of Autism or birth defect (she doesn't seem sick just a bit odd). Let me know, thanks!

It could be literally anything. It may just be her personality. Maybe shes just naturally a loner. Every once in a while some of my hens have lazy days and lounge around alone. It could be a bit of depression if she isn't accepted like others in the flock. Yes, chicken depression is a thing, lol. She could be in a little pain for any reason. Have you checked her over? Feet perhaps. Maybe the weather change is just effecting her differently. She could be getting sick. She could have a deficiency. Is she overweight compared to the others, underweight? Im rambling, but it could be anything really, or nothing.

It could be literally anything. It may just be her personality. Maybe shes just naturally a loner. Every once in a while some of my hens have lazy days and lounge around alone. It could be a bit of depression if she isn't accepted like others in the flock. Yes, chicken depression is a thing, lol. She could be in a little pain for any reason. Have you checked her over? Feet perhaps. Maybe the weather change is just effecting her differently. She could be getting sick. She could have a deficiency. Is she overweight compared to the others, underweight? Im rambling, but it could be anything really, or nothing.
Thanks? Haha. I try to give her food and attention best I can. She hangs around the flock but choses to stay away and do her own thing, (we also have two roosters and one is not interested in breeding but likes to be near hens, so if she wanted to she could join him.) I will make sure to keep a good eye on her and check her though, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom