Chicken jumping on my shoulder

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mikaela Taylor, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Mikaela Taylor

Mikaela Taylor Chirping

Aug 22, 2019
    West Virginia
    Hello! I'm probably posting this all wrong and I do apologize if so!

But I was wondering if anyone knew why a chicken would come running up to me and jump on my shoulder when I enter the coop run.

I do think it is sweet of her but I'm kind of scared the other chickens are bullying her and she might be trying to escape them for awhile or something of that nature :( we named her "Spooky" because she's always very skidish. So this is crazy to me she is always wanting on my shoulder.

I give them treats by hand sometimes and it may just be her thinking she'll get food if she jumps on me.

I have 10 Easter Eggers and one Silkie. 9 Easter egger hens and 2 roosters if that helps anyone with why she would be doing so. Thank you all!

penny1960, so lucky and chrissynemetz like this.
  2. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie Gallus gallus domesticus

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
    Teacher's pet.. 7 copy.jpg

3. Mikaela Taylor

Mikaela Taylor Chirping

Aug 22, 2019
    West Virginia
    I do hope so xD I'd hate to think she's getting bullied or something like that :(

4. TooCheep

TooCheep Songster

Feb 23, 2019
    Indiana
    I doubt it is because she's being picked on. Chickens have individual personalities. Some are more friendly towards humans and some are more skittish. In my case, the most dominant hen is the one that tends to want to jump in my lap when I'm sitting in the back yard. I wish the girl at the bottom of the pecking order would come to me so I could give her some positive attention, but she is also the most skittish.

If you are okay with it, then don't be concerned. If you want to discourage the behavior, then be sure to put her down before giving her any attention/treats.

PS- No worries on how you are posting. You are doing fine. You found the right forum for the topic, successfully created a new thread and asked a valid question. :thumbsup

5. getaclue

getaclue Enabler

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    If you suspect bullying, make sure you have 2 areas where there is food, and water available. That way she can always get something to eat or drink. I have several friends that one of two of their chickens will jump up on their shoulders. Not all of their flocks, just the exceptional one, or two. That's not typical behavior, but not totally unusual either.

6. Mikaela Taylor

Mikaela Taylor Chirping

Aug 22, 2019
    West Virginia
    You are so sweet! Thank you so much :) I love learning everything I can about them and their behaviors!

7. Mikaela Taylor

Mikaela Taylor Chirping

Aug 22, 2019
    West Virginia
    Thank you! I will try putting out a second feeder! We have two larger waters far apart from each other but never thought to do so for the food for some reason

penny1960, chrissynemetz and getaclue like this.
  8. Folly's place

Folly's place Crossing the Road

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    It's maybe cute, or maybe very pushy, and I'd discourage it. She should wait to be invited into your personal space, not just 'move in'. There's 'friendly', and there's 'rude', and no other bird would allow this behavior either.
    Mary

aart, penny1960, Mimi’s 13 and 2 others like this.
  9. Duck_life

Duck_life Songster

May 14, 2019
    Woods of PA
    My chicken Winnie always jumps on my should or head when i enter the run with treats/food, nothing out of the ordinary.

10. chrissynemetz

chrissynemetz Crossing the Road

Dec 19, 2013
    Olathe Colorado
    I have an Easter Egger pullet who loves to jump on my shoulder. It's really cute, but to be honest I'm not entirely sure if I'll let her keep doing it. She's fully grown sized, and super tame, but I have a handful of little grandkids who would probably freak out if she tried to land on one of them :eek: lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: