Chicken jumping on my shoulder

I have quite a few who do that (my 3 month olds and my 6 year old hen). If they’re in the mood, they’ll try to jump on me (shoulder for the younger ones, or my back if I lean over). My old girl (Alice) will sometimes jump on my back and start scratch/pecking around (as if I’m hiding snacks up there :lol:). I’ve raised them as if I’m really their momma chicken, so it doesn’t surprise me. If you’re worried about her getting picked on, try to observe them from afar and check for missing feathers and such.

Sometimes Chickens do the strangest things just like kid. I was sleeping late due to meds one day and son was on nights got home and let his dogs out but didn't go feed the chickens, next thing I knew had a rooster in the bed with me pulling my hair to try and drag me out to get their feed, which actually they could have got themselves as bag was open, son didn't even notice he'd snuck in.

It's maybe cute, or maybe very pushy, and I'd discourage it. She should wait to be invited into your personal space, not just 'move in'. There's 'friendly', and there's 'rude', and no other bird would allow this behavior either.
Mary

Chickens do peck at eyes, and may have faster reflexes, and that's how it's possible to loose an eye out there at the coop. No bird gets near my face, and that's even more important for small children, who won't know what hits them until it's too late.
Mary
Ditto Dos^^^

Not my picture, but the best friendly chicken picture I've ever seen.

0VCIzpz.gif
Yeah, that looks like a rooster coming in to save the day. The next 30 seconds of the video, if taken, probably wasn’t that cute.
:hmm

Do you have any idea how many people would kill (ok, maybe not kill) or buy a bird that will willingly sit on them? Way to go, you have a unicorn!
She will absolutely peck your eyes, earrings, teeth, necklaces... anything shiny really. And freckles. Oh mercy, the freckles!

May I humbly request a picture of this lovely lady atop your shoulder? You know, for posterity.
I don't have one yet! I do want one though! :) :)

I was just about to ask the same question. This pullet is one that I moved out of harms way twice, held her close and petted her until she was calm and put her down in a safer place. She is often alone and won't get in the crowd at the feeder. She will stay at the feeder much longer if I sit there while she eats, but most of the chickens do that. It seems she feels safer. But, I don't know what's in a chicken's head.

My favorite girl Bessie loves a good shoulder sit and cuddle. I think she’s probably just excited to see you and knows you may have treats with you.

Attachments

• DF3951BA-2D04-44C6-9DA5-3F02102D029A.jpeg
    DF3951BA-2D04-44C6-9DA5-3F02102D029A.jpeg
    393.8 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom