Chicken jumping on my shoulder

I have an Easter Egger pullet who loves to jump on my shoulder. It's really cute, but to be honest I'm not entirely sure if I'll let her keep doing it. She's fully grown sized, and super tame, but I have a handful of little grandkids who would probably freak out if she tried to land on one of them :eek: lol
My girl doing it is full grown too! Before we got chickens I told my husband I was terrified of them (bad rooster childhood experiences lol!) so it really freaks me out when she puts her face in mine because I'm nervous she'll peck my eyes or something :barnie

Chickens do peck at eyes, and may have faster reflexes, and that's how it's possible to loose an eye out there at the coop. No bird gets near my face, and that's even more important for small children, who won't know what hits them until it's too late.
Mary

Yikes! I've had birds a long time and thankfully never had an issue. They peck at shiny things like my ring, etc. but thankfully never at my body or my daughter's. Chicks on the other hand I think will peck at anything. It's quite fun to put them in a cardboard box with holes and put a q-tip through the holes. They go absolutely nuts. Sure, it may be a bit mean, but I view it as training their hunter instincts!

Do you have any idea how many people would kill (ok, maybe not kill) or buy a bird that will willingly sit on them? Way to go, you have a unicorn!
She will absolutely peck your eyes, earrings, teeth, necklaces... anything shiny really. And freckles. Oh mercy, the freckles!

May I humbly request a picture of this lovely lady atop your shoulder? You know, for posterity.

That's like my barred rock. She's jumped on my upper back with no warning and has jumped on my lap too. She jumps on her chicken swing when I'm sitting down in the run in front of it and swings right in my face which frightens me every time. She's very friendly but also a bit pushy and in your face. She's pecked at my other birds after I picked them up and petted them so she's jealous too. She gets right in my face sometimes and I back off because I'm afraid of some face pecking. I've already been pecked on my earrings, my moles, cuts, my back and my feet so no thanks, not in my face

May I humbly request a picture of this lovely lady atop your shoulder? You know, for posterity.

Not my picture, but the best friendly chicken picture I've ever seen.

0VCIzpz.gif

It always unnerved me when chickens would jump up on my shoulder (or head) when they got past cute chick size. None of my girls now want to get up that high, but they do jump up on my lap or the arm of my chair. I am on guard for my earrings and eyes, of course.
I had one girl that would jump on my back every time I bent over. Not attack, just wanted to be held. She would jump into my arms if I was facing her. She was low girl in pecking order for several years, so I think she looked to me as her protector.

Back
Top Bottom