Chicken just showed up?? ****NOW "Big Chickens Story" a story of a found chicken***lol

I agree she's an easter egger hen, but I'm not sure she's that old. The comb doesn't look very red to me, meaning she's not laying. She doesn't look like she's molting, so my thought is she's just too young.

I think she'll do fine with your birds, but it will probably take weeks for her to settle in. Lots of time, a fair amount of food, and she'll be just one of the girls.
I'm with Donrae on this. She looks to be about 5 months to me based on her comb development.

The story of Big Chickens' rescue??? Go for it - at least it would have a happy ending
cool.png
Sue
Or Big Chickens big adventure. lol. I have one about a baby opossum already and one about a pet rat.

I know you want her to know she's safe. For now it's just immportant for her to BE safe. You're doing everything right. Keep loving her and she'll be the best Big Chicken she can be.

Just an update on "Big Chicken" Today she ate some scratch with the other chickens!!!! I was so surprised. She did her usual at first. I throw out scratch and the chickens run to me...she runs the other way. BUT she stopped and came back. She got the stuff that was on the outskirts and I threw a bunch for the rest of the flock and threw some extra her way. Later when I threw scraps she got some bread and was so happy!!! Its odd. My chickens now if I throw stuff not to be afraid. She thinks im throwing stuff AT her. Mostly I just talk to her when Im out and otherwise ignore her. Let her see the others follow me around. She seems to watch me in a different way now. More curious than afraid. If I sit very still she will get within a few feet of me. However my other chickens still chase her. Just a few of them but seems like they HATE her lol. Even my roo chases her? But after 11 days seems like she is making progress. here are a few new pics. Let me know if you are still following this thread plz.

As you can probably tell by the pics compared to the last pics...she is in the yard now!!

Our EE is skiddish, and we've had her since she was a chick and raised along side 5 other chickens. Some of the "fearful" nature is probably personality traits.

Big chicken is just beautiful, and I'm glad she is making progress! I can't wait to hear more!

Our EE is skiddish, and we've had her since she was a chick and raised along side 5 other chickens. Some of the "fearful" nature is probably personality traits.

Big chicken is just beautiful, and I'm glad she is making progress! I can't wait to hear more!
THANK YOU!! I don't know much about "easter eggers" But the hens I have seen are usually just a brown coloring. Big Chicken has almost a "laced" look to her wing feathers and that neat tan/gold color down her front. And of course that cute owl face lol. Even if she is never a "lovey" lol she has a home. I hope she can integrate into the flock more so she isn't so lonely all the time. I have posted a "Found chicken" on several local site and have not heard anything back. ODD cus if I saw a found chicken post and had lost one I would be all over it. I am content though in knowing she will now go in the coup everynight on her own and is being fed well. I just hope I don't have to search for eggs next spring!! Pretty sure I know where she will lay if she does but still. lol my flock has a pretty good forage area.

I just started following today! Oh she is LOVELY! I just ordered 2 EE's and I would be a very lucky lady if I got one as beautiful as she is. After reading through the thread I am very interested in her progress. I hope she does well.

I have a polish that I introduced to my flock of buff Orps a few weeks ago, she is doing fine and although she fights with a few still, they get along just fine. Keep at it and she WILL get better!

I just started following today! Oh she is LOVELY! I just ordered 2 EE's and I would be a very lucky lady if I got one as beautiful as she is. After reading through the thread I am very interested in her progress. I hope she does well.

I have a polish that I introduced to my flock of buff Orps a few weeks ago, she is doing fine and although she fights with a few still, they get along just fine. Keep at it and she WILL get better!
Thank you for following!! I think im gonna write a book on her lol. I have written a few kids books on critters. Never published ofcourse but my kids like em. Im just glad she found us. I am grateful to have her no matter how it works out. She ended up here for a reason. Im at a point where even if she never stands at me feet when I hand out treats but feels safe here I will be happy. She is an enigma.

Such a great story, loved reading through it :-D glad she founded you and her new flock!

Two developments...Today when I threw out scraps Big Chicken was right there with the rest of the flock!!! She still runs away when I toss stuff out lol. She still thinks im throwing stuff AT her. So I have to divert the flock and toss her something fast before the flock sees so she has time to come back to it. I wonder at her behavior during this time. either she is used to having things thrown at her or has never had scratch or scraps thrown to her. BUT when she was coming back for a piece of bread I had tossed her and one of the small bantams ran for it she did her "growling" noise and chased it off. I wanted to yell YAYYYY!!! lol but had to keep quiet. Then after the scraps where thrown and I sat in my chair to watch she actually passed within a foot of me. Eyeballing me the entire time but she did it. She is coming along. Im proud to have her.
Second development......I posted "found chicken" ads in my area. much as I want to keep her to myself I would not feel right if I did not try to find her owner. I was called today by a person who indeed lost an Easter egger. 5 days before I found her...or rather she found me. I did not put a description. Just found a chicken. He has described her well and I fear he is the owner. Thing is this person lives over 20 miles away from me. I had the right idea thinking hawk. Person said they lost 5 so far to a hawk. Im sure its the same hawk and it has learned where to get a free meal. why he has not done something to fix the prob I don't know and I don't want him mad at me right now lol. If I can I will try to talk him out of Big Chicken. But really 20 miles?? A hawk would not fly that far? And how far would it fly? I can only assume a hawk grabbed her and latter dropped her and she somehow got away. That is a long way for a chicken. Any thoughts? And keep your fingers crossed he will let me keep her.

Back
Top Bottom