Chicken Killerz

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by HughesFowlFarm, Dec 8, 2013.

1. HughesFowlFarm

HughesFowlFarm Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2013
    Possums, Coons, Hawks, Dogs, Bobcats, Fox, Coyotes, Cats, Rats, and all else.

Even if it is illegal to kill a few above. What is everyone's opinion on PROTECTING your property? Your backyard flock. Am I the only one that doesn't have a problem with taking out any of the above of predators to protect my flock?

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    I have an automatic chicken door that shuts at dusk to keep my girls safe. If we have a big problem with a coon, opossum or skunk[​IMG] we live trap with a can of cat food as bait then kill them. Usually not an issue with the auto door. My girls are snug as a bug in a rug! If I hear hawks I keep the girls in for a few days.

3. BigECarter

BigECarter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    My opinion, for my situation and my flock - predators do what they do. Removing predators is a temporary fix and I assume that a loss of chickens is what alerts you to a new predator. So, I try to live with my predators. I have tried to make a secure coop (hardware cloth). I plan to get electronet fencing for my free rangers. Not much I can do for hawks except hope they have enough cover and sense to be safe.

That being said, my coop was insanely expensive. I haven't had the heartbreak of losing a chicken to a predator. Taking out predators is a cheaper way of handling the problem.

1 person likes this.
  4. TOP KNOT

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    I only lost one to a hawk, I also spent a lot on my coop,($2800) but the digging climbing chicken eating critters have to go! Skunks can not live here, they dig under our garden tractor shed and ''I'' don't want to run into one as I do chores in the dark!! [​IMG] coons, opossums etc. can kill horses if they pee on their hay in the hay mow. EPM is a very serious! Equine protozoal myeloencephalitis, or EPM, is a disease caused by a protozoal infection by S. neurona that affects the central nervous system of horses. So, they can not live here.

5. chickhawk68

chickhawk68 New Egg

Dec 15, 2013
    I have a hawk problem right now, but i'am going to take him out today!!!!!!

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

You do realize that it is illegal to kill a hawk don't you? Like you can go to jail? And there is a HUGE fine when you are caught?

7. chickhawk68

chickhawk68 New Egg

Dec 15, 2013
    Ya I know was just upset, I hung some cd's out all over in the trees, hope it helps?

8. TOP KNOT

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    With hawks I learned if you keep the chickens if for a few days the hawks move to a better hunting location. When I here them, girls stay in the run. Listen for them.

9. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    If you have any number of birds then it becomes worthwhile to invest in a system of layers that includes proper roosting sites, cover, fencing, traps, dogs and proper vigilance. Kills of opposums and raccoons are regular but others are for the most partly simply repelled .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by