Chicken killing dog is back

Quote:
I agree with you 100%. When she called me and said it was my fault, lets just say she got an earful from me, and none of it was anything I could type here.

She's one of those types of people who is very intelligent, but hasn't got a lick of common sense...not one iota of it.

Shooting a dog in the butt with a BB gun is a waste of BB's.
I've shot the neighbors 2 dogs in the butt with my 12 ga from 70-80 yrds. Gets their attention for the rest of that day is all. They'll be back. Next time I introduce them to Mr. GLOCK! SSS!!!!!!
somad.gif

Well I've decided, turn-a-bout is fair play. The rancher who's dogs killed my guineas is the same person who we bought our little 7 acre plot from (he subdivided it out to get rid of to the house on the lot). We have a covenant agreement that we would not have any free roaming dogs that would wonder onto his ranch because of his sheep (this is "Seiben Ranch" by the way, they're big here in MT) or his dogs who are trained to protect the sheep would probably kill them. Well it's time to do the same! My boys have been wanting a dog (a German Shepherd) since we moved here. They're very family protective.
wink.png
Fortunately, the Seiben Ranch operation rotates their flocks and they just left right after Christmas to another location so we're "dog free" for now but they come back every October. Time to find our new family pet!
somad.gif

Lori

This is a messy problem. The neighbors won't control their dog. The law won't do anything about it. If you do something about it (shoot the dog) you may have both the neighbor and the law on you.

Here's my personal policy on this matter. First build a dog resistant fence around your chickens and other animals. I find that "livestock panels" which are 16 - 20 ft long X 5 ft high panels made of heavy gauge wire, attached to solid posts make a good starting point. I use the ones with 4"squares from top to bottom. These might be called sheep or hog panels. I've then woven long sticks vertically into that, making the height 6-7 ft. Run some barbed wire around the top of that. Then I lay some 3 ft woven fence wire on the ground around the outside perimeter, and hog ring it to the bottom of the vertical fence. This keeps dogs from digging under the fence.
Since I did that, no more coyote or dog problems. Now it's just the occasional hawk swooping down and grabbing a chicken by the head. The head pops off and the hawk flies away with that.

Until you have a good fence your chickens, kids, and other animals will never really be safe. I've had a couple of dogs try to tear thru the fence, but they can't. When I catch one doing that I bust his butt with my slingshot. I'm good with that, but for most people a pellet rifle or paintball gun would be easier.

Shooting to kill shouldn't be necessary if you have a good fence. And it could lead to really big problems with the law and make enemies of your neighbors. If for some reason (dog threatening kids, wife, or my dog) I had to do that, tho, I would just keep quiet about it. SSS = shoot, shovel, and shut up.

Last edited:
The Law in Geogia states that if an animal attcks a livestock or poultry animal, you have the right to shoot it dead... Especially if it would cause a lost of income or product.

When a neighbor dog kills chickens, shoot the dog and bury it. Don’t ask a bunch of questions, just take care of the problem, you will have a much better relationship with the neighbors in the long run.

They can’t keep the dog from wanting to kill chickens, and should it get out and disappears you will be blamed anyway…

“See a snake, kill it, don’t form a committee on snakes.”

I had a problem with neighbors' dogs (mostly pitbulls) killing and injuring my birds. I lost three pullets and had a hen injured severely. I bought a 22 rifle. The next time a pit bull showed up attacking my birds, I heard it around midnight & I used rat shot as the first bullet in my 22 rifle; it was enough. I shot the dog at pretty close range in his butt. In case I needed it, the second one is a real bullet. Since I started shooting, I've had no more dog attacks. The neighbors must not like the vet bills with the rat shot because their dogs are no longer getting loose & attacking my birds.

As far as protective fencing or shelter, pitbulls can tear through almost anything and some can even climb a tree. I've seen them chew up a metal can (you know, what canned goods come in). The only thing that saved my 2 remaining pullets after the first attack was putting them in a steel dog crate each night. That's what they were in when I had time to get out there & shoot the dog.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have to agree with you here. I am always amazed at how people think a dog will fend for itself in the wild. Cats will because they are solitary hunters. Dogs rely on a pack for hunting. If they form a pack then they create more havoc for other folk because they will get close to where the hearth is. Humans!

Yes, it will starve slowly because it does not know how to hunt by itself it's chances of survival are with a pack. At best it might get eaten by a mightier predator like a coyote. At worse, (and as you said) starve or get hit by a vehicle.

Now, I am not telling anyone what to do just saying I agree that the most humane and noble thing to do is to have the dog put down.

The dog is not doing what it is doing to create heck for you...it's just being a dog. Sad to say if it were my chickens...I'd have to kill it, if the owner was not being responsible enough and I couldn't do anything else. I love animals...especially pits but it's for the best.

Good luck and I am sorry to hear about your troubles with this dog. It would frustrate me! :mad:

Peace-

Pedro

Last edited:
S- S- S will cure it.

Or you can bait him but this will require a sacrificed bird. Mix some cayenne pepper in water and spray it all over the bird. a couple chomps and he will think again about biting what he is seeing. (works good for plant chewing too)

Back
Top Bottom