Chicken killing dog is back

SSS I cant do it in my neighborhood because I live right in the suburbs but if I were on a farm I would pratice SSS.

Henry

Well that's it that dog was back this morning. Bil scared it off but believe me he just earned himself a one way ticket to the pound. I have had it. DH says he is going to load the dog up first chance he gets and it is going for a ride. He has now started jumping the fence around our property so we are going to electrify it just in case another dog gets any ideas.

I wish we had reasonable neighbors but unfortunately we don't and as I said before they will retaliate if they think we have authorities involved so it is a ride for the dog and the neighbors will be non the wiser

Last edited:
Quote:
I have to agree with you here. I am always amazed at how people think a dog will fend for itself in the wild. Cats will because they are solitary hunters. Dogs rely on a pack for hunting. If they form a pack then they create more havoc for other folk because they will get close to where the hearth is. Humans!

Yes, it will starve slowly because it does not know how to hunt by itself it's chances of survival are with a pack. At best it might get eaten by a mightier predator like a coyote. At worse, (and as you said) starve or get hit by a vehicle.

Now, I am not telling anyone what to do just saying I agree that the most humane and noble thing to do is to have the dog put down.

The dog is not doing what it is doing to create heck for you...it's just being a dog. Sad to say if it were my chickens...I'd have to kill it, if the owner was not being responsible enough and I couldn't do anything else. I love animals...especially pits but it's for the best.

Good luck and I am sorry to hear about your troubles with this dog. It would frustrate me! :mad:

Peace-

Pedro

I'd like to add that dumping a dog and thinking the farmer down the road will take care it and it'll have a good life in the country is usually not gonna happen. More than likely it'll be shot or at the very least chased on down the road. I'm speaking from experiance here and we get tired of doing someone elses dirty work.

I do not think dumping a dog off in the country or anywhere is a good idea. It is cruel to the dog. The dog would probably end up starving to death, getting shot, or hit by a car. I am taking this dog to the pound. It will still probably end up euthanized but at least there is a chance it could find a good home. If not at least it will not suffer. Also why let it go in a place where it could harm other people's livestock. I agree with Katy. I am not sending my problem off for someone else to deal with. Gonna make sure this dog has no opportunity to harm anyone Else's livestock.

Quote:
Good deal. I think that's the best solution. Hopefully your neighbor will not try to retrieve it from pound and someone else (responsible) will get the dog. :|

Yes, the dog getting euthanized is a lesser of evils...and it's best for everyone all around.
sad.png

Sad to say, especially, the dog.
hmm.png

Good luck...
cool.png

Unfortunately it won't be long until those idiots replace him with another dog. That is why we are electrifying the fence and reinforcing the gate. Stupid people.. what is the point in getting dog after dog that you could give a darn about. SAD

Quote:
I have to agree with you here. I am always amazed at how people think a dog will fend for itself in the wild. Cats will because they are solitary hunters. Dogs rely on a pack for hunting. If they form a pack then they create more havoc for other folk because they will get close to where the hearth is. Humans!
Pedro

Sorry, I know this is off topic; the subject here is dogs, not cats. But I feel I need to correct a wrong assumption here. A dumped cat has no more ability to survive in the wild than a dumped dog. A pet dog/cat/chicken has been cared for, and fed all its life, and is not suited to suddenly being left to fend for itself. Cats have a reputation for being loners, which is not totally unjustified, but not all of them are hunters. My newest cat was dumped on our hill, and was in a very bad way when he found his way to us. Please don't pass on this totally false belief about the cat's ability to survive on its own. Many have to try, unfortunately, but the feral cats lead a very sad, hungry, and short life for the most part, and non-feral (i.e. former pet) cats have an even worse time.

OK, I'm off my soapbox now LOL

Dumping dogs is not a good idea. If they do survive they band up in feral packs and attack everything. We had a problem with them when I was a kid. Every time I went to the barn I had to carry a gun. l remember one day when I was 10 being chased into the barn by 2 germans shepherds, 1 lab and not sure what the others were. Ran into the goat stall and started shooting them. After the first round my parents were out the door. I had been bitten twice.

The person who mentioned using a paintball gun....I had thought of that also. However I am going to add skunk scent to them. Use a small guage needle and inject the paintballs. Not only will the dog have a nice pretty new color but the owner will be greated with a wonderful aroma. hehehe

SSS- that's the only way to stop a livestock- eating dog with a lazy careless owner. (Besides, you'll get in less trouble for shooting the dog than shooting its owner!
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom