Chicken laid bloody membrane, any advice?

Ok now she laid monstrosity with some type of a tail. It looks as though some calcium did try to form before she felt compelled to lay it. On the upside ahead is now eating and drinking. I'm taking her to vet first thing in the am.
15854904381515455509181611013676.jpg

I would ask the vet about antibiotics. Baytril (enrofloxacin) is good to use for reproductive infections. It is banned for chickens, but some vets will prescribe it. This may be impacted oviduct which can have a variety of possible causes. Here is a good article that lists possible causes:
https://wagwalking.com/bird/condition/impacted-oviduct
She may stop laying altogether, but infection can be a possible cause. Some have spent a lot of money on hormone implants, even risky spaying, but it is a common problem in hens.

She has perked up so much now that she acted like she wanted outside but now she has done this.....neverending. it was very yellow when it happened. thank you for the article. Any chance she has a cocci overload? Or possibly internally laying? I will definitely ask the vet about baytril

Attachments

• 15854980761607827216456141927828.jpg
    15854980761607827216456141927828.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
The bright yellow poop might be egg yolk, but it sometimes is a sign of E.coli infection. Her reproductive symptoms can lead to internal laying, salpingitis, or egg yolk peritonitis. Antibiotics early might help. Here is one that is 0.05 ml per pound or 0.25 ml for a 5 pound hen, twice a day for 5 days, but you could get it auicker through a vet:
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

Daisy has been acting her usual self all day so I have not contacted the vet. I have been giving her 8000 IU of D3 for 2 days now, she has not laid since the semi egg with a tail yesterday morn. I've have decreased her daytime to 11am to 5PM, versus the usual 6am to 740pm. She is in good spirits as I check on her frequently and she responds with a couple of happy clucks.
I am waiting on my delivery of baytril tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

@LilyLoo Tums would be fine to use (as a calcium supplement with a little egg yolk for vitamin D3) for a few days to see if the duck’s egg shells get hard. But there is probably nothing you can buy at TSC to help. If the calcium doesn’t help, I would not give it more than a week.
How is your duck doing?

Back
Top Bottom