Chicken laid first egg now appears sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kay77, Feb 18, 2014.

1. kay77

kay77 New Egg

Feb 16, 2014
    Hi, I am new to the forum and have a question about chickens laying their first eggs.

We watched our Rhode Island red lay her first egg in what looked like a traumatic experience and now she seems to just sit around without much energy.
    We thought she might be egg bound but have given her two warm baths with epson salts for 20 mins and no egg has materialized. After the bath she seems to poop runny poo.

We can see the action like she is trying to lay an egg but no egg is appearing. I tried squirting some lube up her vent, it just made her poop.

She still goes to roost and night, she is still drinking and eating but a lot less food than normal and isn't coming for treats, tends to be spending her day hiding in bushes and sitting a lot even closing her eyes while standing. She does not appear to be getting worse, so I'm not sure that she is eggbound. when trying to catch her she can still run around quite fast.

Any help would be great,

Thanks,
    Kay

2. chicken-herder

chicken-herder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2014
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  3. kay77

kay77 New Egg

Feb 16, 2014
    Thank you for the reply she is a bit better but not back to her normal self, I'm not too sure if she is egg bound as this has been going on now for a while and would assume she would be getting worse. Hmmm Hopefully it clears up soon.

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    You might want to try giving her a human calcium pill. The calcium will help a egg bound chicken pass the egg.i hope this helps and wish you the best. For egg binding I keep on hand a injectable calcium glutenate. But a human calcium pill will also work well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by