Chicken laid large egg smeared with yellow gunk, stopped laying, and is now ill

onthefarmnj

Songster
Sep 3, 2019
Hi there, I expect this is a lost cause, but at the very least I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what may have happened. I have a buff Orpington who has never been a good layer (didn't start until 8 months and always laid small eggs for an Orpington). About 2 weeks ago, she laid a large egg (it was not a double yolker) that was covered on the outside with yellow gunk - it could have been yolk, but I'm not sure. She has not laid since, but has otherwise seemed fine, except for she has been losing weight. I've been giving her a little bread soaked with yogurt mixed with half-and half a couple of times a week, which she loves and which in the past has helped me put weight on light hens, but she has still been losing weight. Today, she barely touched it and is lethargic. She looks fine otherwise, no discharge, eyes good, no mites, etc., but given her demeanor, I don't think she's going to make it.

I suspect she did some internal damage or something when she laid that large egg and it's now visibly manifesting, but I am wondering if anyone has any other theories or recommendations for how to help her.

The egg and the illness could be unrelated, tbh. Yellow gunk could be a sign of infection. It could also be urates. Does she have any discharge from her vent? I'd also check her crop first thing in the morning to make sure it's emptying. Could she also be carrying a heavy worm load?

Thanks for the reply! I will check her crop in the morning. I don't think it's worm load, all of the other (4) hens look quite healthy. No discharge from the vent. I have not seen her poop until I just happened to catch her doing it this evening. It was very small, and yellow, but I don't think she is eating much so I don't know what to make of that. She also did not go into the coop tonight, for the first time ever. I found her underneath. I am sad to say I don't think she'll last long.

I'm sorry for your loss. Too many things can happen to our lovely birds. It isn't fair...
:hugs

Are you going to send her for necropsy? Just curious since it isn't clear what happened.
No, I suspect from other conversations I have had that she may have had a reproductive tract infection. Also, to be honest, I don't know where to take birds for necropsy and I expect it's not an inexpensive proposition.

No, I suspect from other conversations I have had that she may have had a reproductive tract infection. Also, to be honest, I don't know where to take birds for necropsy and I expect it's not an inexpensive proposition.
I am not sure where you are, but I send mine to UC Davis. The necropsy is only $25. Shipping isn't cheap, though.

If you suspect an infection, you can try treating with antibiotics. I have used Baytril occasionally with good results for things like bumblefoot and eye infections. You can get it here without a prescription. It might be worth sticking if you see the same symptoms again.

I am not sure where you are, but I send mine to UC Davis. The necropsy is only $25. Shipping isn't cheap, though.

If you suspect an infection, you can try treating with antibiotics. I have used Baytril occasionally with good results for things like bumblefoot and eye infections. You can get it here without a prescription. It might be worth sticking if you see the same symptoms again.
Sorry I just am seeing this now. I would definitely to a necropsy for $25 - unfortunately I am in NJ so shipping to UC Davis would be pricey. I will check out Rutgers though and see if they offer the service - they do have an Ag school, so maybe!

Yeah I should have tried antibiotics, I just didn't think she was sick until it was too late. :'(

Back
Top Bottom