Chicken laid odd object

cowgirl boots

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 23, 2011
My RIR hen mysteriously quit laying over a month ago. Other than that everything seemed fine until 5 days ago when we noticed that she would stumble sometimes. Then, this morning, I find this weird/gross item in the coop. It looks like a tempura
nugget; itt is dry and firm. What do you think it is?? She is not stumbling anymore, btw.

I would say that that is not an egg but something called a 'lash' which are usually produced as a result of hormonal changes and are believed to consist of matter from the reproductive tract. They can signify the end of your hens laying life....when she has got to an age or stage when her body is done with egg production. Try googling it, there's a lot of info out there....but don't worry, it doesn't mean anything awful! x

Thank you for the responses. I looked up lash egg and I believe that is what is. My hen is again showing signs of illness. She walks and eats and drinks; however, she often falls down and acts as though she can't get up. If I pick her up and put her back on her feet she walks again. My daughter cut the lash egg open...

Back
Top Bottom