Chicken Laws for Lake City Florida

They never seem to want to make it easy.

Sec. 110-1. - Zoning regulations adopted by reference.

The zoning regulations dated June 1980, prepared by the city planning and zoning board, with assistance from the North Central Florida Regional Planning Council, are hereby incorporated, and adopted by reference, as the zoning ordinance of the city, under the powers established to implement the city comprehensive plan (revised February 1980) contained in the Local Government Comprehensive Planning and Land Development Regulation Act (F.S. §§ 163.3161—163.3215), a copy of same being filed with the city clerk, and attached to Ordinance No. A-453.
(Code 1968, app. A, § 1)
Editor's note— A copy of the zoning regulations is on file in the office of the city clerk.

Also, you should be aware that the ordinances defining "Nuisance" are a bit vague, as they tend to be, but two sections are of specific note.

• Sec. 42-34. - Loud noises—Prohibited generally.
    The creation of any unreasonably loud noises in the city is prohibited. Noises of such character, intensity and duration, as to be detrimental to the life or health of any individual, or in the disturbance of the public peace and welfare, is prohibited.

Sec. 42-35. - Same—Acts declared.

The following acts, among others, are declared to be loud noises, and noises in violation of this section, but this enumeration shall not be deemed to be exclusive, namely:
    (1)
    [...]
    (5)
    The keeping of any animal, bird, or fowl which by causing frequent or long continued noise shall disturb the comfort or repose of any person in the vicinity.
    [...]

- and -

• DIVISION 1. - GENERALLY

Sec. 42-66. - Definitions.

The following words, terms and phrases, when used in this article, shall have the meanings ascribed to them in this section, except where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:
      Nuisance means anything that endangers life or health, gives offense to the senses, violates the laws of decency or obstructs the reasonable use of, or causes injury to, property. Permitting unsightly weeds or trash to appear on vacant lots; leaving old automobile chassis, old, wornout automobiles or parts of automobiles on one's premises; creating unusual noise; having hilarious parties; playing radios, phonographs or other sources of amplified sound in a loud tone late hours at night to the discomfort of neighbors; frequent barking of dogs; night work in residential sections or near hospitals where unusual or disturbing noises are made; maintaining dogpens or enclosures in an unsanitary condition; putting decayed meat of any kind in garbage cans or in the streets; or permitting chickens to run at large within the residential section of the city are hereby declared to be nuisances.

Those are your basic "keep them on your property" and "no roosters" (I know it doesn't SAY that, but its how that language is typically, and selectively, enforced) statutes.

Actual Zoning and Planning, I was hoping to find here - no such luck, the website is a "work in progress".

Your county has the usual definition of "Nuisance Animal" and uses "Poultry" not chickens for its keyword in the code.

If you then dig into land use regulations (and you should!), the raising and keeping of Poultry upon ones property is permitted in areas of the COUNTY zoned "A" (Agricultural) or "RR" (Rural Residential) subject to certain limits without further approval. They are Conditional Use approved (meaning you have to ask permission, and may NOT be granted it) in areas of the COUNTY zoned RSF, RSF/MH, RMH, RMH-P, etc.

You should also be aware that the language used regarding conditional permitting FAVORS REFUSAL. That's not a guarantee, I don't know your zoning and planning board - but the language used in drafting the ordinance is traditionally associated with "no".

https://library.municode.com/fl/lake_city/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=PTIICO_CH14AN
Here is a link to the ordinances. I didn’t read them so I’m not sure if they necessarily include anything your interested in, but it is the only animal ordinances on the internet for lake city Florida. You’ll need to look into it yourself if it doesn’t contain the information your looking for :)
I already read that and have already researched it. I was hoping someone in the area could give me insight into how strict the rules are and if the community is looking to change them.

I already read that and have already researched it. I was hoping someone in the area could give me insight into how strict the rules are and if the community is looking to change them.
You may want to look into this (Closed Membership - I can't see it, and am NOT a member) Facebook Group. They may have some idea of "the lay of the land" regarding backyard chicken ownership in the city proper. My suspicions are that chicken keeping is concentrated in the County, outside municipal limits, for reasons I posted above re: Country Ordinances.

You might want to post in your state thread to see if there are other members in that area: Florida

I'm not a lawyer (and I really hope you never have to get one involved over this) but where it says "...permitting chickens to run at large within the residential section of the city" is a nuisance, I would argue that if they are not running at large then they are not a nuisance.

As a practical matter, I think it's going to depend on who your neighbors are. Anyone who thinks roosters are the only loud chickens has never heard hens squabbling over a nesting box or announcing that they just laid today's egg. Your chickens will have a happier life and so will you if the neighbors don't hate them.

I'm not a lawyer (and I really hope you never have to get one involved over this) but where it says "...permitting chickens to run at large within the residential section of the city" is a nuisance, I would argue that if they are not running at large then they are not a nuisance.

As a practical matter, I think it's going to depend on who your neighbors are. Anyone who thinks roosters are the only loud chickens has never heard hens squabbling over a nesting box or announcing that they just laid today's egg. Your chickens will have a happier life and so will you if the neighbors don't hate them.
That section of the Ordinances is there to invoke the law of Nuisance as a default any time the chickens are off the owner's property. Neither does the noise ordinance restrict itself to Roosters, or provide any firm standard - it allows the neighbors to complain of loud animals generally, whether they be Roosters or Hens. Simply that from an enforcement standpoint, Codes written in that fashion, functionally, are "No Roosters" though that's not literally what they say.

Back
Top Bottom