Chicken laying consistent soft-shelled eggs and acting less peppy

abbyale

Hatching
Aug 13, 2020
Hello Chicken Community!

I have an ISA Brown, around 15 months old who has been consistently laying soft shelled eggs for 3 days, sometimes 2 a day. Prior to that, she was laying smaller than usual, calcium spotted eggs, and one egg that had a large ring around the middle, which i think is called a body-check egg. She has plenty of oyster shell in the run, and I've been giving her plain yogurt to help the calcium, but it doesn't seem to be making a difference.

The environment has been stressful for her: we lost a flock member about a month ago to a bound egg, it's been a very hot summer in NJ, we were hard hit by the tropical storm on Tuesday, and had a generator wailing only about 100 feet from her cage for 4 days, so we assumed maybe she was just having a hard time due to the heat and the stress. I brought her inside for a night after she was listless and having diarrhea, and we gave her electrolytes and let her spend a night in the air conditioning. She perked up and acted normally, so we put her back with the flock (I have 2 other chickens). That morning we got the body checked egg. Since then, she's only laid soft shells - I got two from her this morning: a very small shriveled egg, and then a soft shell that was broken in the nest box.

I did give her pedialyte two times yesterday because she looked very droopy, and have been administering a natural dewormer supplement, and putting diatomaceous earth in the run for all the chickens.

She acts normally most of the time, eating, drinking, scratching, wandering the yard. But she gets a little droopy in the evenings. The birds got very wet during the tropical storm before I was able to get them inside, and I'm concerned she might have gotten a respiratory infection, although there's no mucus in the eyes/nose and no coughing. The other two birds (also ISA Browns) have been laying normally the whole time and seem unaffected, so I'm at a loss as to what might be wrong with the one.

This is my first year with adult chickens, and since we lost the one a month ago, I've been very worried about the remaining 3. Any advice is appreciated! Sorry for the very long post.

Hello Chicken Community!

I have an ISA Brown, around 15 months old who has been consistently laying soft shelled eggs for 3 days, sometimes 2 a day. Prior to that, she was laying smaller than usual, calcium spotted eggs, and one egg that had a large ring around the middle, which i think is called a body-check egg. She has plenty of oyster shell in the run, and I've been giving her plain yogurt to help the calcium, but it doesn't seem to be making a difference.

The environment has been stressful for her: we lost a flock member about a month ago to a bound egg, it's been a very hot summer in NJ, we were hard hit by the tropical storm on Tuesday, and had a generator wailing only about 100 feet from her cage for 4 days, so we assumed maybe she was just having a hard time due to the heat and the stress. I brought her inside for a night after she was listless and having diarrhea, and we gave her electrolytes and let her spend a night in the air conditioning. She perked up and acted normally, so we put her back with the flock (I have 2 other chickens). That morning we got the body checked egg. Since then, she's only laid soft shells - I got two from her this morning: a very small shriveled egg, and then a soft shell that was broken in the nest box.

I did give her pedialyte two times yesterday because she looked very droopy, and have been administering a natural dewormer supplement, and putting diatomaceous earth in the run for all the chickens.

She acts normally most of the time, eating, drinking, scratching, wandering the yard. But she gets a little droopy in the evenings. The birds got very wet during the tropical storm before I was able to get them inside, and I'm concerned she might have gotten a respiratory infection, although there's no mucus in the eyes/nose and no coughing. The other two birds (also ISA Browns) have been laying normally the whole time and seem unaffected, so I'm at a loss as to what might be wrong with the one.

This is my first year with adult chickens, and since we lost the one a month ago, I've been very worried about the remaining 3. Any advice is appreciated! Sorry for the very long post.
Often soft shells come from round worms. If you live in a wet environment, She could have them and not show worms in poop. You can either treat her for worms or send in a manure sample to a vet for a fecal float test.

I would also get some egg laying vitamins

https://www.amazon.com/Durvet-Healt...keywords=durvet+poultry&qid=1597873427&sr=8-2

Sometimes you can find the vitamin at Tractor supply centers

Back
Top Bottom