Chicken laying egg on roost

oriole

Chirping
13 Years
Jun 7, 2010
I know there have been a lot of posts about chickens not laying in their boxes but this is stranger than that.
My 18 month old chicken who has laid eggs in the nest box suddenly started laying them on the top rung of the roost. The roost is a 1x5 board. The chicken just seems to lay the egg before she comes off the roost in the morning. Her sister is laying in the nest box still. I have no idea why she started laying like this. I have cleaned the nest boxes and used diatomaceous earth. I have hung curtains on them. She just keeps laying the egg on top of the roost and sometimes it will fall onto the poop board. Once or twice she has laid under the roost.
I have the roost and nest boxes in my garage which has become my chicken coop, I also keep their food and water in there but they free range all day and I only keep the garage door closed on really cold nights. So I assume she is laying in the middle of the night after she gets on the roost for the evening.
I don't get it.

I am sure she prefers the roost over the nesting boxes because it is a higher level, she feels more secluded and hens want privacy when laying an egg.

How long has it been going on? Sometimes if they can't hold an egg until morning they drop them at night.

Back
Top Bottom