Chicken laying eggs in the rafters of shed

haylibug

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 5, 2014
I have a chicken who decided to start laying eggs on top of a box in the roof rafters. I dont know how shes keeping them from rolling off onto the ground but she is trying to hatch them. I want to bring the eggs down into a separate brooding box below just in case they hatch. Im just worried Ill disturb her "broodiness" and shell stop sitting on them because I moved them. Im only 3 years into having chickens so still not much experience especially with a broody hen and I want the babies to live? I guess I really have no choice but to bring them down but is there any advice on how to go about it? There are two other hens and one rooster she shares the coop with. Thanks ;)

I would put all of the eggs in a box and carefully move them to the new nest site. I would then take the mother so she can see the nest and hopefully she will sit on them. You shouldn't disturb her broodiness at all.

I would put all of the eggs in a box and carefully move them to the new nest site. I would then take the mother so she can see the nest and hopefully she will sit on them. You shouldn't disturb her broodiness at all.
I agree I moved a broody and eggs to a different coop. She wasn’t happy but she sat back on the eggs after a little bit. (This was my first broody).

I would wait a few days, until she is fully committed to hatching those eggs, and then carefully move her and the nest

I agree I moved a broody and eggs to a different coop. She wasn’t happy but she sat back on the eggs after a little bit. (This was my first broody).
Shoot I dont have a separate coop....I like that thought because Im thinking shes doing it to keep the others away???

I'd remove her and the eggs, and block access to the rafters.
If she's really broody then you can give her some fresh fertile eggs.
I like to put my broodies in a separate section of coop and move here there and get let her settle before giving eggs to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom