Not laying in nesting box

Carladelida

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2023
South Jersey
Hi, need help, I spooked a chicken while she was laying on accident, and she ran away without laying. Unfortunately now none of the chickens want to lay in their nesting box. They are laying in the coop near it. How can I get them to use the nesting boxes again?

How can I get them to use the nesting boxes again?
I would agree with the first poster.. a nice pile of eggs is an indicator that no predator has visited recently and other birds thinks it's a safe location too. Sometimes fake ones will work.

I *might* resort to more extreme measures.. like destroying the outter nest or doing something to prevent it.. blocking off the area, removing bedding, whatever it takes to make the lay box more appealing. On the other hand.. I've also added in a makeshift lay box (bucket, etc) in their preferred location. Chicken flocks are so dynamic.. it keeps it interesting for me!

I agree with ^^^. There is something they like better about where they have chosen. If where that is, I can gather the eggs easily - I don't fret it.

If it is not, I will put something big in that spot, so they look for the next best place - hopefully the nest box.

They do like dark places for a nest - post a picture of your nest box. Maybe we can help.

But do know I tried nesting pads, and everyone eventually went to the floor. Got rid of them, and now they are all laying in the nests.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom