Chicken laying eggs with bubbly air cells

HarmonyFox

Songster
Apr 5, 2018
I keep finding eggs with bubbly air cells. I think only two chickens are doing it. The eggs feel more fragile and some have blister looking places on the eggs that are thinner and they have calcium deposits on them. Has anyone else had this problem?

Can you post a photo?
Do you mean air bubbles inside the egg or on the shell?
Fragile eggs may mean that your hens need a supplement to support strong eggs. Any feed store has this, just ask them. :)

Can you post a photo?
Do you mean air bubbles inside the egg or on the shell?
Fragile eggs may mean that your hens need a supplement to support strong eggs. Any feed store has this, just ask them. :)
1002182310.jpg

1002182310a.jpg

It's just abunch of bubbles that move everywhere in the egg. And would the regular chicken feed not have enough nutrients? I feed them an Omega 3 layer feed along with grains to keep them fatter during the winter and they also free range.

I feed them an Omega 3 layer feed along with grains to keep them fatter during the winter and they also free range.
The grains may be diluting the nutrients in the feed.
'Fatter' is rarely 'healthy'.

How old are these birds?
What is egg like like when you break it into a dish, is the albumen watery?

The grains may be diluting the nutrients in the feed.
'Fatter' is rarely 'healthy'.

How old are these birds?
What is egg like like when you break it into a dish, is the albumen watery?
They run around so much I've honestly never really assumed they would get very fat. What I really meant was have more fat to burn while the run around in the cold weather. They go litterally everywhere. My ducks are the only lazy ones. And I've had one egg have a watery whites but the egg itself was a bit old so I assumed that was why. It didn't have a bubbly air cell like these though and the bubbly one's whites have never been wattery so far. All of my chickens except two are under a year old. Two are 1 and a half. The majority of my flock range from 5-7 months with a few outliers being younger and the two older ones.

Egg shells have calcium although depleted. Raw egg is protein not calcium.
I do know eggs are protien lol I don't buy much treats for them so I'll give them the full egg so they can have a protein rich treat every now and then. They'll just carry off the shells and eat them after they're done with the yolk and whites. How do you recommend I make the oyster shells more appealing to the whole flock though? Their food has oyster shells in it because it's a layer feed but if you think they need more then I'll gladly try to get them to eat even more. I'm just not sure how. I've tried putting some mixed in with the food and they ate around them but I'm sure they consumed some of the oyster shells. I've also just tried setting them out but the same amount was left untouched for like a week. The majority of the chickens have crazy strong egg shells though. It's just two that lay the weird ones. (I'm assuming it's two because I get two bubbly weak eggs every other day and they're both in different nest boxes.)

I do know eggs are protien lol I don't buy much treats for them so I'll give them the full egg so they can have a protein rich treat every now and then. They'll just carry off the shells and eat them after they're done with the yolk and whites. How do you recommend I make the oyster shells more appealing to the whole flock though? Their food has oyster shells in it because it's a layer feed but if you think they need more then I'll gladly try to get them to eat even more. I'm just not sure how. I've tried putting some mixed in with the food and they ate around them but I'm sure they consumed some of the oyster shells. I've also just tried setting them out but the same amount was left untouched for like a week. The majority of the chickens have crazy strong egg shells though. It's just two that lay the weird ones. (I'm assuming it's two because I get two bubbly weak eggs every other day and they're both in different nest boxes.)
I feed my Birds an all flock feed with Oyster shell in a separate bowl. I have put scratch grain in my oyster shell for a few days to get them to use it.

Back
Top Bottom