Chicken laying in the wrong spot, any suggestions.??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ortiz5954, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Ortiz5954

Ortiz5954 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2015
    Hey so my silly girl Ella who is a light brahma chicken thinks she is a duck and keeps laying in the duck house right in the ducks nest where they are laying and sitting on a few eggs.Any suggestions, they do not share house just the run and duck house would be near to impossible as it is was to big to fit through.Thanks!!!

2. GingerGypsy

GingerGypsy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2016
    Ledbetter, KY
    Put an egg (preferably her egg) into the box where you want there to lay. Show her the egg, and place her in the box. Be consistent, and eventually she will catch on. She sees other birds laying in that spot so she's doing it too, but if you redirect her to where the other chickens are laying, she will start laying there instead of with the ducks.

3. Ortiz5954

Ortiz5954 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2015
    That's what I just did today because I wasn't sure what else to do know I just didn't want her to continue,glad to hear that you suggest that!!!Thanks :)

4. flewdcoop

flewdcoop Out Of The Brooder

I had the same problem with my bantys until I put a couple of white golf balls in the nest boxes, now I don't have to crawl under the coop to get the eggs[​IMG].

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    In addition, you could keep her in the coop until she has laid - this may also help her to get the idea.

CT

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    This^^^

Fake eggs or golf balls can work too, better than a real egg, IMO.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by