Chicken laying shell-less eggs?

If I was going to be away I would have them in a secure place and safe. Maybe you should try something other than what you're currently feeding them. I feed my birds All Flock or Flock Raiser. I also give them oyster shells and grit. The feed is higher in protein but I also breed and hatch and like the higher protein. I'm in Florida too near Ocala. I have electric wires around my coops and pens, good heavy duty netting covering the pens to protect the birds from aerial predators and concrete under the gates for diggers. I do leave the pop doors open in the coops so the birds can go in and out of their coops at their will. So far nothing has gotten past the electric wires. Good luck...
http://www.poultrydvm.com/featured-infographic/tips-for-protecting-poultry-from-predators
20210115_095548.jpg

If I was going to be away I would have them in a secure place and safe. Maybe you should try something other than what you're currently feeding them. I feed my birds All Flock or Flock Raiser. I also give them oyster shells and grit. The feed is higher in protein but I also breed and hatch and like the higher protein. I'm in Florida too near Ocala. I have electric wires around my coops and pens, good heavy duty netting covering the pens to protect the birds from aerial predators and concrete under the gates for diggers. I do leave the pop doors open in the coops so the birds can go in and out of their coops at their will. So far nothing has gotten past the electric wires. Good luck...
http://www.poultrydvm.com/featured-infographic/tips-for-protecting-poultry-from-predatorsView attachment 2690928
Thanks so much for the advice, as I took a second look at my bag, I realized that it wasn't chicken feed... it was scratch. So I bought purina layena at my local farm supply and my hen is laying normal eggs. It made me so happy when I found my first one. As for the trip, I live in a town kind of place, with little to no predators. I left the run open, and when I came back, they were safe! I'd also like to compliment on what a nice place you have! Beautiful chickens!

We are rural on a dead end road. We do have plenty of predators. I have several game cameras up on my property and was surprised at the predators that roam especially at night. We rarely see predators during the day. Mostly when it's mating time and they have young to feed then we are more apt to see a predator during the day. They are good at lurking so you may not see them. I had my special bird out and got distracted. A fox sneaked it and took her during the middle of the day. If I had only put her back in her pen... :hit

We are rural on a dead end road. We do have plenty of predators. I have several game cameras up on my property and was surprised at the predators that roam especially at night. We rarely see predators during the day. Mostly when it's mating time and they have young to feed then we are more apt to see a predator during the day. They are good at lurking so you may not see them. I had my special bird out and got distracted. A fox sneaked it and took her during the middle of the day. If I had only put her back in her pen... :hit
I am so sorry. She sounds like a very special hen. It's not your fault... It's those brainless foxes! :rant

Back
Top Bottom