Chicken laying small eggs

Thanks, I was thinking of putting some of her eggs into the incubator but now that you’ve said that it’s made me rethink it. I wouldn’t want small chicks that would go on to lay small sized eggs. 😀

For larger eggs select chicks with well spaced legs. Hens with legs closer together lay smaller eggs.

Avoid hatching her eggs small eggs produce small chicks, large eggs 65+ grams produce wide and chunky chicks.

There are quite a few chicken breeds that lay only medium or small eggs and end up being huge, for instance Brahma.

If the rooster that is to inseminate her eggs hatched from a big egg, her offspring might as well lay big eggs.

There are quite a few chicken breeds that lay only medium or small eggs and end up being huge, for instance Brahma.

If the rooster that is to inseminate her eggs hatched from a big egg, her offspring might as well lay big eggs.

I agree with you, I keep some large breeds that lay smaller eggs, like Brahmas and aseels, but even in them chicks that hatch from the larger eggs end up being larger than those who hatch from smaller eggs. That's just my experience.

What if that rooster inseminate eggs of a hen who lays large eggs.

Well, as the ancestry of this mix-hen is completely unknown one can only guess. And there might even have been some bantam genes down the line that could easily show some generations later.
We will never know, it's just a guessing game :)

I have 5 Easter-eggers that are 4 months old & some stared laying last week. All very small eggs. This morning I had one the size of a marble. The big egg is from a 3yo Americauna.
872BAF0C-D5A9-4019-AD1F-E895F68850C2.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom