chicken laying solid substance

Kimbo bimbo

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 6, 2014
I have a 3 year old hybrid hen. About an hour ago I noticed she looked like she was struggling to lay so went to have a look and she seem to lay a rock solid creamy thing that looks kinda like an egg she'll but dodgy one. Shes old and hasn't laid for about a month. Any advice would be appreciated.

Google 'chicken lash'...it sounds like a lash to me....it's not an egg but is made up of old tissue from the reproductive tract and often signifies the end of the hen's reproductive life.

Never heard of egg lash but looked it up and it seems to most probably be that. Thank you for your reply it was really helpful. I was really worried there was something really wrong with her but as she's old we expected her to stop laying especially as she is a 3 year old Hybrid. Thanks again

You are welcome! Don't be surprised if you get them from her every now and then and some of them can look really quite hideous but don't worry, that doesn't mean anything more sinister is going on x

Ahhh so it's not a one off thing I will keep an eye on her :). I'm glad someone know what it was as I have never seen it before

Back
Top Bottom