Chicken legs paralyzed after injury and fly strike

Was the "blood" ruby red? Or was it more orange?

Is she able to stand and walk now?

How does the wound look? Any swelling and redness around the edges?

You can probably stop the sugar water. If there is diarrhea and listlessness, and if there is more ruby red blood in the poop, and if the poop is runny, you should start coccidiosis treatment. If you're in the US, buy Corid. It will say it's for sheep or pigs or cows, but it's for poultry, too.
No not really ruby red more like purple red like clotted. Yes her poop has been kinda diarreha and she has had some green poops. What do you mean listlessness? She is definately sleepy. Kinda dozes off. If she had worms wouldn't she have had blood prior to this.in her stool.

Since her injury she had sorta solid sorts liquid poops with no blood. Today is the first day for the blood. She has had 3 poops with the "clotted looking blood"

She has been able to sit down and stand up all along just not walk. She kinda has been hopping to get to her water etc past day where she couldn't even do that to begin. But her walking is nowhere near normal.

She is definitely perkier then yesterday. I think the wound looks gross but I'm kinds squeamish so this is huge for me being able to treat this. It is not inflamed looking really.

Could treating her for worms hurt her with her injury and being so unwell? I'm in Canada.

Worms are probably not an issue to be concerned about at this time.

Putting everything together, it adds up to internal injuries that are much more serious than the exterior wound. She likely has internal bleeding, and that may be what you saw in her stool. It accounts for her listless/sleepy behavior. I need to be honest with you. She may not be able to recover from this. You need to prepare yourself that she may die before the weekend is over.

You have a decision to make. You can continue with supportive care, but you'll need to push fluids with electrolytes to counteract the loss of blood from internal bleeding. You'll need to hand feed her to keep her strength up. It would help to get her on an oral antibiotic so sepsis doesn't set in with her internal injuries, if it hasn't already. So you will need to track that down. I know it's not as easy in Canada as it is in the US. But if you could call friends and family and ask if anyone has a leftover antibiotic on hand, your hen could really use it. If you get one, we'll figure out the dose.

Or you could euthanize her. With the probability of internal injuries, it's what I would do.

Putting everything together, it adds up to internal injuries that are much more serious than the exterior wound. She likely has internal bleeding, and that may be what you saw in her stool. It accounts for her listless/sleepy behavior. I need to be honest with you. She may not be able to recover from this. You need to prepare yourself that she may die before the weekend is over.

You have a decision to make. You can continue with supportive care, but you'll need to push fluids with electrolytes to counteract the loss of blood from internal bleeding. You'll need to hand feed her to keep her strength up. It would help to get her on an oral antibiotic so sepsis doesn't set in with her internal injuries, if it hasn't already. So you will need to track that down. I know it's not as easy in Canada as it is in the US. But if you could call friends and family and ask if anyone has a leftover antibiotic on hand, your hen could really use it. If you get one, we'll figure out the dose.

Or you could euthanize her. With the probability of internal injuries, it's what I would do.
Yes it is hard to get antibiotics without a vet giving them. What kind of antibiotic would I need.

She seems to make improvement then take step back but then imrpovr again.
I dont know if I can give up on her yet. I'll see what tommorrow brings. It is late now.

She has been drinking on her own. Any of the times she seemed sleepy I was syringing her the mixture of sugar water I had mixed with the vitamin water. Otherwise she has been drinking not bad. She has been eating on her own not huge amounts but some everyday

I appreciate all your help.

I just checked on her and cleaned her wound and did the polysporin. She was resting but did get up and drink. She pooped while I was in there and no blood this time. There was another poop in her bed I cleaned out. It had no blood either. I will attach a pic. Alot more normalish. Hard to see in pic....I will see what tommorrow brings.

Thanks

Just wanted to update on my girl. I was not ready to give up on her it just didn't feel right and I'm soo happy I didn't. She is still separated and healing but she is walking again and today has jumped onto side of her bin to roost which she couldn't do even just 2 days ago. She is doing well.

Thanks for the tips you gave in the beginning!

Back
Top Bottom