Chicken lethargic and hiding? :(

maec

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2023
My chicken Peperomia is around 2 years old. Today she has started acting lethargic, swaying her head and hiding. She refuses to eat or drink. I spoon fed her water in the hopes to give her some hydration. I even laid out some of her favorite foods in a shallow dish of 100% coconut water. I checked her vent and under her wings for mites, but all looks well there. I was just wondering what this could possibly be, and are there any specific ways to treat her? She is already separated from the rest of the flock in a shaded spot. Some additional information I believe could be helpful is the fact that we have been experiencing prolonged heat in Phoenix. Today it is still 100 degrees. Thank you.

Update: She has moved to the other side of the yard, but she’s stumbling and tripping when she walks.

Last edited:
Be careful when spoon feeding liquids - it's pretty easy for chickens to aspirate. A syringe angled in the back of their throat avoiding the trachea is usually the best way if you have to force feed.
100 Degrees is a danger zone for chickens; they can die pretty easily at that temperature. Is there any way you can get some electrolytes in her and move her to a much cooler place?
Is she panting? Are her eyes bright and clear, nostrils clear, comb and earlobes brightly colored?

Find a cooler place to house her for a while (a few days).
Supplement some Nutri-Drench in her water according to label instructionss.
There are literally a hundred reasons this could be happening from a predator injury, to bullying to, dietary, to cancer.
If you give her a cooler space and she doesn't resume food and water, perhaps a vet is in order.
Should she not make it, I recommend getting a necropsy at your state poultry lab so you know exactly what was up and if others are in danger.

Be careful when spoon feeding liquids - it's pretty easy for chickens to aspirate. A syringe angled in the back of their throat avoiding the trachea is usually the best way if you have to force feed.
100 Degrees is a danger zone for chickens; they can die pretty easily at that temperature. Is there any way you can get some electrolytes in her and move her to a much cooler place?
Is she panting? Are her eyes bright and clear, nostrils clear, comb and earlobes brightly colored?
Thank you for this information. I will not use a spoon again.
I immediately ordered Nutri-Drench through Doordash per recommendation by ChickenCanoe. I am just waiting on that. I made a cozy, cool spot for her in my room where she is not bothered. She has a shallow dish of water for right now. I will keep her inside until it finally cools off this Sunday.
She is not panting. Her eyes are clear, but she is squinting and closing them often. I don’t notice any nose discharge, and her comb and ears are still rosy.
Thank you for helping me. I cannot express my appreciation enough.

Find a cooler place to house her for a while (a few days).
Supplement some Nutri-Drench in her water according to label instructionss.
There are literally a hundred reasons this could be happening from a predator injury, to bullying to, dietary, to cancer.
If you give her a cooler space and she doesn't resume food and water, perhaps a vet is in order.
Should she not make it, I recommend getting a necropsy at your state poultry lab so you know exactly what was up and if others are in danger.
Thank you. I moved her into my room in a cool, uninterrupted spot. She will stay with me for a few days as you said. It should finally cool down this Sunday. She seems to have perked up a bit!
I appreciate you taking the time to answer and recommend the Nutri-Drench. The next step is definitely the vet.

Sounds like sour crop - apple cider vinegar works for me
I’m not sure that I agree that it sounds like sour crop, but, this absolutely is a good point that hasn’t been brought up!

How does her crop feel?
Firm? Squishy? Does she have a foul odor coming from her beak?

Check her crop tonight and again tomorrow morning. It should empty overnight.

None of the above suggestions will “hurt” even if it is a crop issue!

Please let us know what you find 💕

Thank you for this information. I will not use a spoon again.
I immediately ordered Nutri-Drench through Doordash per recommendation by ChickenCanoe. I am just waiting on that. I made a cozy, cool spot for her in my room where she is not bothered. She has a shallow dish of water for right now. I will keep her inside until it finally cools off this Sunday.
She is not panting. Her eyes are clear, but she is squinting and closing them often. I don’t notice any nose discharge, and her comb and ears are still rosy.
Thank you for helping me. I cannot express my appreciation enough.
If you do ever have to use a spoon, use a 1/4 of a teaspoon.
If you have Gatorade in the meantime you can always try giving some of that to get electrolytes into her.
Also agree with the suggestions to check the crop. Also take a look at the inside of her beak to see if it looks normal.
Hopefully she will continue to be on the mend!

I’m not sure that I agree that it sounds like sour crop, but, this absolutely is a good point that hasn’t been brought up!

How does her crop feel?
Firm? Squishy? Does she have a foul odor coming from her beak?

Check her crop tonight and again tomorrow morning. It should empty overnight.

None of the above suggestions will “hurt” even if it is a crop issue!

Please let us know what you find 💕
Thanks! It might also be cocsicidis - don’t know how to spell that. 😊

....what does the poo look like?
Post pix if you can

Corid is usually available at your local feed stores, or, from Amazon.

Even IF this isn’t coccidiosis, Corid is a great thing to have on hand in case you need it in the future, and it’s not very expensive to add to the medical kit for the birds 💕

Back
Top Bottom