Chicken, lethargic and mobility problems

Sunny is still alive today, but she is about 98% paralyzed. She is able to flap her wings a little but cannot get around. She won't eat or drink but seems to no longer be lethargic. She seems very weak and I am wondering if she'll get better or if I should euthanize her because she will slowly starve to death. I don't know what to do. I don't want her to suffer. Her breathing is very rattly and I think she's in pain. Her body seems to have collapsed upon itself, as if her structure has changed.

Oh! How heartbreaking! I was rooting for Sunny and for you! You are a kind and conscientious chicken keeper and all of your birds are lucky to be in your care.

Euthanasia is always a really hard call. We've asked neighbors and friends to euthanize our chickens with Marek's when it was clear that's what they had and were going to die sooner or later. I haven't ever been able to bring myself to do it.

There are many ways to humanely euthanize a chicken if you search BYC or online. Here's a good link with advice from a vet: https://the-chicken-chick.com/how-to-humanely-euthanize-chicken-by-dr/ and a BYC link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ways-to-euthanize-a-chicken.68064/

Thinking of you and Sunny đź’”

Thank you. This truly is heartbreaking. I really love her.

She had really messy explosive diarrhea, yellow and white colored. I've never seen anything like it.

Sunny was able to drink a large quantity of water, almost half of her small waterer that I placed in front of her, on her own (though not any food). So my family and I decided that we're going to support her as she tries to fight whatever is afflicting her and see if she can surpass this. I'm going to do everything I can to support her until it looks like she truly can't fight anymore. She may die but I'm going to give her every chance I can for her to live.

Sunny was able to drink a large quantity of water, almost half of her small waterer that I placed in front of her, on her own (though not any food). So my family and I decided that we're going to support her as she tries to fight whatever is afflicting her and see if she can surpass this. I'm going to do everything I can to support her until it looks like she truly can't fight anymore. She may die but I'm going to give her every chance I can for her to live.
I really hope she can do it!! We're all rooting for her!

Sunny just died of extreme neurological problems. đź’” I'm glad that I did everything that I could for her. I will miss her a great deal moving forward. You were a great bird Sunny, and you always made me smile with your goofy antics.

Sunny just died of extreme neurological problems. đź’” I'm glad that I did everything that I could for her. I will miss her a great deal moving forward. You were a great bird Sunny, and you always made me smile with your goofy antics.
I am so incredibly sorry. I'm glad she lived a good life. :hugs

Sunny is still alive today, but she is about 98% paralyzed. She is able to flap her wings a little but cannot get around. She won't eat or drink but seems to no longer be lethargic. She seems very weak and I am wondering if she'll get better or if I should euthanize her because she will slowly starve to death. I don't know what to do. I don't want her to suffer. Her breathing is very rattly and I think she's in pain. Her body seems to have collapsed upon itself, as if her structure has changed.

There are many things you can do to help Sunny. If she is still alive she has some strength and will to live. It will require work on your part, daily, perhaps for many weeks. Only you can decide whether or not to euthanize her, if you don't have the time.

I have listed Sunny's needs in my next post.

God Bless :)

Greetings Zerex,

If you want to give Sunny a chance for survival it will take work on your part. I have brought many birds back from the brink of death, it can be done.

First let's consider Sunny's breathing. She may have had a respiratory infection from the beginning. That will require a warm environment, 75-80 degrees, use a brooder lamp. Keep her away from drafts. You should also administer a broad spectrum antibiotic. You may have some kind of antibiotic in your home. You can use dog, cat or even a people prescription antibiotic. We can help you determine the dose. Let us know if you have one. There are other things that can be done to help with a respiratory infection, but start with these basics.

Yes, she will starve if you don't feed her manually! She will need at least 40-50 ml. a day of a liquid meal replacement. These meals are mixed with water, so she will get her hydration from them as well as nutrition. You can purchase a Baby Bird meal mix at a pet store. Or, you can use a coffee grinder to pulverize her regular feed into a basic meal powder, and mix that with some water. Sift the ground feed to get rid of any large pieces that will clog the syringe. Make enough powder, at least 1 cup, to last a few days. Then, use a shot glass or tiny bowl to mix each meal. The consistency should be like pancake batter.

Because she is too weak and has some paralysis you'll need to use an oral syringe to feed her. Here are some syringes I use.

The top syringe is a 10 ml. which I purchased on Amazon. It is fitted with a short piece of 1/4 inch aquarium tubing. I use that syringe to place the food in the chicken's mouth.

The lower syringe is a child's medicine syringe, purchased at Walmart. It is fitted with a longer piece of 1/4 inch aquarium tubing, to put the food down the chicken's throat to the crop. The tip of the Aquarium tubing should be softened by sanding it or by using a flame to melt it slightly. A soft tip will prevent scratching of the bird's mouth or throat.
Oral Syringe 3 edit.jpg

It can be scary syringe feeding the first time, but the bird will die if it isn't done. If you don't feel ready to use the longer tube, that's ok. Try just placing a small amount of food in Sunny's mouth, on her tongue. She may be able to swallow it on her own. Feed her slowly allow her time to understand what is happening. Have a paper towel ready to wipe her mouth. Talk to her sweetly and comfort her while feeding. This is a scary moment for her too.

Later, you may want to feed into the lower throat or crop. This is done for chickens unable to swallow on their own. Here is a diagram to help you visualize the process.

The important thing is to avoid putting food or water into the trachea/air way. That will cause the bird to aspirate/choke. If that happens, don't panic. Wipe the inside of the mouth quickly and allow the bird to recover.
syringe tube feeding edited.jpg

If you cannot get a syringe, the old time farmers would feed sick birds with a bent spoon. You may be able to make one, or try using a plastic spoon. I have used both. Sunny may be able to eat from the spoon. That would be great.:D

bird - feeding spoon.jpg

I hope this information is helpful to you. Remember, the greatest cause of failure, is fear. Many keepers stand by and watch their birds die, because they are afraid to hurt them more. Accidents happen, but to stand by takes effort. Put your efforts into helping your bird. I always say, "my sick bird may die, but it won't die from starvation". Nutrition is one of the greatest tools in healing from illness!

God's blessing for a healing to Sunny! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom