Chicken, lethargic and mobility problems

If she did damage her leg, she may have a hairline fracture. That is just as painful as a full fracture. A severe injury will cause illness like symptoms.

Administer:
Baby Aspirin or low dose aspirin, .40 mg. for pain (this may be given up to 3 times a day)

If there is a break she'll need a sling.

Here is a simple sling. Use a large plastic tub. Be sure to make the leg holes big enough so that her feet go through easily.
View attachment 2543544
I felt the leg and there is no break. I do not know how to tell if there is a hairline fracture. Will aspirin hurt her? I don't want to make her feel worse.

Greetings Zerex,

At this point you should concentrate on giving supportive care to the sick chicken and nursing it. A sick chicken's recovery will depend largely on the amount of nursing and supportive care you can give.

You can have the best medications available, but if the sick bird must survive harsh temperatures, and struggle to compete for food, the chances are they will not make it. No one is suggesting that you do any kind of surgery, either. That is for a vet to do.

Try and make the chicken more comfortable first. Observe her and note any symptoms. Write them down. Is she off feed? That is important to know, too. She needs to eat to recover. If you are feeding supplemental meals, what do they consist of. A supplemental meal should have carbohydrates (Cooked brown rice, wheat berries, oat groats, potato, etc.), protein (egg, cooked minced meats, cooked fish, tofu, etc.), Vegetable matter (chopped greens, cooked frozen vegies, cucumber, tomato), fruit (diced grapes, apple, melon, tomato etc.), and fats (butter, coconut oil, peanut butter) use these to cook with or drizzle on food.

Because the hen is drinking water on her own, she may not need electrolytes. But, you may add them in the water if you have some. Do it for 3 days.

Next, I would like you to feel the good leg. Note if the temperature is warm. Then, feel the bad leg. Is it cool or cold? Report your findings.

We've all been there. Frustrated and fearful that we cannot save our beloved chicken. It's part of having animals of any kind. Step away when you need to. And except that not all things can be fixed. Do you best, and do it with kindness and compassion. Then, if it's not enough, it will be more than millions of precious chickens get throughout the world.

God's blessings and peace to you.
Thank you. Yes, I have lost several chickens and it's always so sad because I get attached to all of them. I am feeding her crumble and scrambled eggs and she is eating it, she got very excited when she saw it like she always does. She tried to get to it and fell face first on the ground because she can't move good. After she had her water she fell straight to sleep and I've only ever seen lethargy in my now deceased chickens so I am preparing for the worst. I'll do what I can but I don't think she'll make it.

Thank you so much for your help and advice.

At this point if she did break her leg, it happened last week, right? So now, nothing can be done except supportive care, a leg wrap (a splint is only helpful if you know where the break is), and pain medication for a couple of days.

If she can't use her painful leg, that may cause her to fall forward onto her food. You also have to consider that this may be an illness that you are not prepared to treat. We simply don't have enough information to go on at this point. You say you lost several chickens. Did they die with similar symptoms? That is important to know.

When there isn't a positive diagnosis, the best thing to do is treat the symptoms. Be comprehensive in the treatment. We usually treat for infection with an anit-biotic, a fungal infection with an anti-fungal, etc. That's why we need a good photo of the poop, the comb, the whole leg.

At this point if she did break her leg, it happened last week, right? So now, nothing can be done except supportive care, a leg wrap (a splint is only helpful if you know where the break is), and pain medication for a couple of days.

If she can't use her painful leg, that may cause her to fall forward onto her food. You also have to consider that this may be an illness that you are not prepared to treat. We simply don't have enough information to go on at this point. You say you lost several chickens. Did they die with similar symptoms? That is important to know.

When there isn't a positive diagnosis, the best thing to do is treat the symptoms. Be comprehensive in the treatment. We usually treat for infection with an anit-biotic, a fungal infection with an anti-fungal, etc. That's why we need a good photo of the poop, the comb, the whole leg.
No, they did not. One of my chickens, Skye, died of egg binding, another of heatstroke, Blue, in the summer. Last year my Penny died of mysterious causes that may have been related to another chicken killing her or perhaps a heart attack. My Peep died six months before that of some sickness that I was not able to treat or identify. So I've had a lot of heartbreak and it makes me feel like a terrible person for never understanding what's going on or how to treat all of these problems.

It does not feel like a break.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like she'll make it. She's likely going to die within a few hours. Her breathing is rattly and her neck seems to be distorted. She was able to lightly stand for a few seconds and then she fell asleep. She will no longer eat or drink. She seemed to have diarrhea. I'm heartbroken right now.

@Zerex So sorry Sunny took a turn for the worse. We've raised chickens now for a little over 8 years and every time one dies it's heartbreaking, so I feel for you. You aren't a terrible person at all.

Chickens have a surprising number of diseases and issues, more than I would have ever imagined when I first started out. Besides the awesome BYC people and an avian vet if you can find one, there's just not much information about how to care for them out there. I also find that once ours start manifesting symptoms, they are already pretty close to death. With all of @Hen Pen Jem 's advice, you'll be even more prepared if another chicken starts to fall ill.

You've done all you could for her and she has had a good life, surrounded by her flock mates and a family who cares for her 💔

Last edited:
I finally know what Sunny was afflicted with. It was a wry neck. I'm probably going to see her dead in the morning, however, as she was quite lethargic so there is not much I can do about the issue now, unfortunately. But I'm sure this is the problem. Newcastle Disease?

Last edited:
Greetings Zerex,

We are about to lose power due to a wind storm. So I will not be back online until tomorrow evening, hopefully.

I just wanted to extend my heartfelt sorrow for your little Sunny. You did what you could for her. As feather13 said, chickens do have many illnesses that can afflict them. On top of that there are predators and mishaps that can cause injury to them. This is the hard part of raising chickens as pets. There is a lot to learn about caring for them. And the learning is continuous.

Most of the time, they are content little creatures pecking at things in the yard. They are beautiful, joyful, funny, have personalities, and they give us eggs! I think they are worth the work, the good times, and even the sad times when one passes away. I've held many chickens in my arms as they passed away. And I have found their lifeless little bodies in the morning. I had one taken from me by a bobcat, as I stood helpless unable to do anything. No matter how they die, it's always a heartbreaking time for me. I will grieve for months when one of my feather children goes to the Father. :hit

As far as the wry neck goes. Wry neck in itself is not a cause of illness, but instead is a symptom of something else. Wry neck, twisting of the neck, and star gazing are terms used to describe torticollis. Torticollis is the correct definition of a chicken's inability to control it's neck and head. Torticollis can be caused by a head injury, nutrient deficiency, disease, poison or toxins, or even a problem during incubation, just to name a few. A necropsy done by a lab is the only way to know the exact cause of death in a chicken. If you decide to do this, I'm sure members here will tell where you can have that done in your state.

Once again my heart and thoughts go out to you during this sad time.

God bless you with peace and calm. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom