Chicken lice.. I'm over it!!!

I've used Sevin dust and after a little experimentation found that using a big fluffy make up brush to apply it to the chickens works really well. It's easiest if you have two people, one to restrain the chicken and one to lift wings/tail/etc and dust.

Two main problems I am seeing in this thread are that

1) with most products you need to retreat the birds at least once, and two re-treatments is better. Re-treat about 5-7 days after initial treatment to kill bugs that hatched or matured since the prior treatment. Alternatively, use a product with an insect growth regulator which prevents immature bugs and eggs from developing into adults. Many also kill the eggs.

2) bugs DO develop resistance to the varius chemicals used, and you should rotate between products, especially if you are finding that a product is not working for you.

Any pour-on must reach the skin, not the feathers. I personally find wingpits to be much better locations to use pour-on as there are far fewer feathers present--you can easily bare a large patch of skin.

Some people use permethrim dip; others use dog or cat flea/tick shampoo; for a really bad infestation some use human lice shampoo.

In any case, you need to treat the coop as well as the birds.

Quote:
I have the Eprinex Ivermec pour-on, which I have used in the past, but it didn't work. It's my understanding that you put it on their necks behind the head and use a specific dose (.5mm/bird). Then it gets absorbed into the blood stream and kills biting bugs. It doesn't kill feather lice though right? Since feather lice actually eat the feathers instead of biting the bird? I'm guessing that's why the pour on didn't work for me. I did two doses 10 days apart on each bird, treated the coop, changed out all bedding and painted the roost and when I rechecked a couple weeks after all that, there were still lice on the birds.
Thoughts?

Last edited:
Quote:
I have the Eprinex Ivermec pour-on, which I have used in the past, but it didn't work. It's my understanding that you put it on their necks behind the head and use a specific dose (.5mm/bird). Then it gets absorbed into the blood stream and kills biting bugs. It doesn't kill feather lice though right? Since feather lice actually eat the feathers instead of biting the bird? I'm guessing that's why the pour on didn't work for me. I did two doses 10 days apart on each bird, treated the coop, changed out all bedding and painted the roost and when I rechecked a couple weeks after all that, there were still lice on the birds.
Thoughts?

Eprinex needs to get to the skin. As I said earlier, the wing pit is a better location as there are fewer feathers to get in the way. Yes, it will kill lice. But it is also something that bugs can develop a resistance to, so rotating between multiple products is a better method. IMO, 10 days apart is too far apart--most bugs develop very rapidly compared to humans, and you will be missing some that matured and laid eggs with that timeframe.

Quote:
Thoughts?

Eprinex needs to get to the skin. As I said earlier, the wing pit is a better location as there are fewer feathers to get in the way. Yes, it will kill lice. But it is also something that bugs can develop a resistance to, so rotating between multiple products is a better method. IMO, 10 days apart is too far apart--most bugs develop very rapidly compared to humans, and you will be missing some that matured and laid eggs with that timeframe.

What are your thoughts on eating the eggs after each method?

I have cleaned coop and nesting boxes, sprayed everywhere with stuff from ts, put 1-2 drops ivermectin on each gal. Didn't know it went on nek so some are on back, but on ski.wazine in water, in case it hepls, de everywhere. This was just yesterday. They have tiny tan crawlies and white that are size of salt. Since i obviously dropped the ball by not seeing sooner...what else can i do? I have 7 powder but then was told it is poisonous for chickens. Then i see o.k. on here?! I would love any advice as i am new to this! Thanks:/

Back
Top Bottom