Chicken Lice Treatments?

This reminded me that larkspur seed soaked in alcohol (vodka usually) for 6 weeks or so is an effective lice treatment. After that time you strain out the seeds and save the liquid. It used to be used before you could get our modern lice treatments. I've used it on my kids heads effectively but I don't know if it would work with chickens. My chicks are only a week old and still inside so we haven't had an opportunity yet. (I'm an aspiring herbalist, btw).
wink.png

Sarita

Thanks again for the posts. I added some red lake DE and sevin to the soil I have in a littler box. No one really got *into* it,so I grabbed each hen( and the roo) and dusted them in the box. Added some sevin to the roost. Will give my prolapse hen some more healing time before I mess with her again. I did pat some sevin on her butt.

Good to know about the larkspur. I will get some seeds and vodka. We had lice in the school,and I had issue with the kids last summer.Sounds like the seeds would be a good non-toxic way to rinse the kids hair just in case there are any still lurking. I have some paranit that is a Eurpoean herbal type treatment for lice. I can use that on the hens too if needed.I am hoping the sevin will do it.

I use Permethrin 10% spray monthly as a preventative and just started rotating with Ivermectin pour on. The permethrin spray lasts about 28-30 days on the birds, the ivermectin ive heard up to 6 weeks. I just mix up the permethrin in a pump sprayer and go around and spray down all the birds.

Back
Top Bottom