Chicken lifting legs high when walking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Newtochickens2, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Newtochickens2

Newtochickens2 New Egg

Oct 25, 2012
    Hello, I'm fairly new to owning chickens so wondered if someone could give me some advice. I have a Plymouth rock bantam which looks like she has started moulting, but feathers appear to be growing back, the last two days I have noticed she lifts her legs high when she walks looks as though her legs are moving her chest? Her poo is normal, she is eating and srinking. Any ideas what I should do? Thanks

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

As for the walking, check the bottom of her feet, I don't know what to do about her shrinking.

3. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    No experience with it myself, but have readt it can be due to mites. That might not be the only possible cause, but it would be worth giving your bird a look over. Google "high stepping" chicken and you should find some threads on that.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    X2! I'd be willing to bet it's scaly leg mites.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Dust her with poultry dust, not DE. You should probably also worm her, but if she's started to moult, you should not use fenbendazole (Safeguard/Panacur) as it does something to their feathers.

Weigh her and send BYC's dawg53 a PM and ask him how to worm her. I'm pretty sure he'll suggest that you buy Valbazen (albendazole), but I have no idea how much you should give to a thin banty. You'll have to order Valbazen online, but you can get Safeguard, Wazine (roundworms only) and Poultry Dust at TSC (Tractor Supply).

You should weigh her daily. Any weight loss is cause for concern. If she is moulting, you should increase her protein level to help with feather growth. I give mine a 27% turkey crumble.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  6. Newtochickens2

Newtochickens2 New Egg

Oct 25, 2012
    Thanks for your comments hope u all had gd christmas! She has generally cheered up but continues to high step! I have wormed and can not find any signs of mites however I have rubbed scaly poultry cream into legs. How long should chickens nails be? I don't think this is the issue but any thoughts??

7. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Look for scabs underneath feathers around knees (infection caused by scaley leg mites).

8. Newtochickens2

Newtochickens2 New Egg

Oct 25, 2012
    I think you may all be correct. Today I have noticed her scales lifting, we are continuing to rub in the cream and will have to see what happens?! Thanks for your help

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I use Vaseline on mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by