Chicken lighting in Coop question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by henney, Sep 25, 2013.

1. henney

henney Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    Reno Nevada
    I'm getting ready to turn on the girls light in the coop and was wondering if a energy efficient Full Spectrum light be better than just a energy efficient one? The coop is 8' X 8" and have 6 Bantam's. We use a Full Spectrum bulb on our pet bird cage for one hour a day.

2. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    If you are turning on the light to help keep egg production up, it doesn't matter what type of light you use, except to keep in mind you want a source that is protected from excessive moisture and won't break easily. A friend of mine uses a string of white LED Christmas Lights...energy efficient, bright, made for outdoors, and not readily breakable.

3. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    [​IMG]

It has been proven that chickens do lay better with extra light. That being said I have some Golden Comet hens (Sex link) that lay everyday summer and winter rarely missing a beat with no light.

If you have a good egg producer I really can not see the advantage.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  4. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    I bought a 13inch led strip at Lowe's for cheap money it's 100 lumens plugged into a timer to come on 2 hours before daylight it lights the coop up like daytime.

5. ozzyman778

ozzyman778 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2013
    UK
    Just ran LED Bright White outdoor christmas lights in the coop and continues to under the shade lean-to over the food in the run. Set them to come on 2 hours before sunrise on a timer and they light up the 6x6 shed/coop and nearly the entire 30x15' run

6. henney

henney Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    Reno Nevada
    So you don't need a Broad Spectrum light. LED bright white string lights would be pretty for winter. Thanks for the suggestions. Judy
    Thanks

7. ozzyman778

ozzyman778 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2013
    UK

Broad spectrum would help with vitamin D during the short days but you can supplement.

8. featherweightmn

featherweightmn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2013
    My Coop
    I like the string of Christmas lights idea!

9. res

res Chillin' With My Peeps

I use LED Christmas string lights, too. They are very sturdy heavy plastic, nothing like the flimsy breakable pre-LED lights. I got the cheap sets from Walmart - I think they were $7 a set? Three sets on a timer light up my 8x12 coop like daylight. Each light has a clip on it, so I was able to hammer in poultry staples, leaving a gap to attach the clip to. This way, IF a string malfunctions, I can easily take it down and put up a new one.... Very happy with them!

[​IMG]

10. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    I use rope lighting. It gives a soft, even light, nothing bright, but plenty for the birds for laying and for me when I do chores after dark. I think I paid $5 for a 25' length. I have one attached to the rafters in the run, and noather in the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by