Chicken lighting in Coop question

That'll work. From your picture they look like one of those old strands with big lights on them. You know, the ones we had as kids that were usually colored bulbs, that would get so hot you couldn't touch them...

Do you leave them on all the time or are the on a timer? I am thinking about doing this myself because I've got a few pullets that are refusing to go into the coop at dusk.
I know! Pretty cool that they look old but are LED's, huh? I didn't notice any change in my electricity bill last year - they are really that tiny - cheapest price and cheapest to operate of Walmart's selection.

They are on a timer - on at 3am, off at 8am, I think??? I actually haven't turned them on yet this year because I have a heat lamp in the coop right now for chicks that were hatched on October 17th.

My chickens were hatched July 22, so not due to start laying for another 2-3 months. Should I put lights in their coop or not? Will they start to lay around the first of the year with lights? When would they start without lights?
Very Curious to hear the answer to this question.....I have babies born in July, August and September.......I hope I see the answers you get! Would you PM me when you get an response!!! Thank you and good luck to you with your new adventure!!!!!!!
jumpy.gif

I am by no means an expert. But, I have read that stimulating a pullet's gland (triggered by light in their eyes) and I forget the gland name.. Essentially trying to get them to lay before they are ready, can cause issues in their vent (where everything comes out) which can cause serious issues. My pullets are almost at laying age, and even though the days are short now, I am going to wait until I see my first egg before doing anything. Meaning I may add light, may not. The reason for delay, is I have 2 different breeds, and it will be hard to tell which one of these has laid the egg... "so to speak"

Just my 2 cents..

Back
Top Bottom