Chicken limping and running in a zig zag.

Twinklin

Songster
6 Years
May 5, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
My Coop
My Coop
My RIR Phillie is 5 months old. She's always been behind the other chickens in every way. She's smaller, feathered in funny, very quiet, not social with the other chickens etc. I noticed recently she walks funny. It's kind of like a hoppy limping but she is still very quick. I managed to corral her today and gave her a good look over. I saw no vent issues, no sign of anything wrong with her feet or legs like bumblefoot. I did notice her butt fluff has a lot of pin feathers and half developed feathers.

I read molting can cause chickens to act funny, walk funny but she's so young. I don't know if juvenile molt can cause these movement issues. I'm thinking maybe the pin feathers she has around her butt fluff might be causing her discomfort so she's walking funny. I stood at the patio and like always she was last to come running and as I watched her she seemed to run in a zig zag. When she stands she also seems slightly lopsided. I was thinking maybe her slow growth was something to do with a spine issue or other deformity that's just now becoming more evident as she gets bigger.

Any ideas as to why she may be moving so strangely?

I would suspect Mareks disease. Has she had any odd neck movements? I would Google Mareks disease, and put her on multivitamins (PolyVisol without Iron is good--2-3 drops a day in her food.

It does sound like she could have Marek's Disease. This disease can cause limping, lack of coordination, and paralysis. Unfortunately, there is no real treatment. However, before jumping to conclusions that your bird has an incurable disease, I advise trying some vitamins. Either get some special poultry vitamins, or get some polyvisol infant vitamins from a supermarket. See if the vitamins help.

Last edited:
Thanks. I've read a lot about Marek's in the past already but observing her today I think it's more of a sprained leg type thing. I have my bf picking up some aspirin on his way home and we'll see if that stops it. If she stops limping we know it's a sore leg. All 4 chickens are feed store so they're not vaccinated. If it is Marek's we'll probably lose all 4 and will have to start over with vaccinated chicks. I'll try to pick up some vitamins tonight too.

Back
Top Bottom